September 18, 2021 Board Meeting Minutes
North Texas Mensa
A Local Group of
American Mensa Ltd.
A Not-for-Profit Corporation
Meeting called to order at 6:12 pm by President George Schmidt. Attendees included: President George Schmidt, Treasurer Roger Durham, Secretary Anne Whiteman, Board Members at Large: Cathy Allshouse, Jennifer Green, and Jessica Helphrey. Present by Zoom: Vice President Aaron Adair.
Secretary – Whiteman – The proposed August 2021 Board Meeting Minutes were circulated electronically. Durham moved, Green seconded to approve the minutes as presented, which passed unanimously.
Treasurer – Durham – The August 31 bank account balance was $20,951.14 together with a note receivable of $10,000.00, showing an increase in net worth to $30,951.14, compared to net worth of $30.786.16 on July 31. Income of $955.72 and expenses of $790.74 generated a net surplus of $164.98 for the month of August 2021.
President – President Schmidt prepared the following agenda of topics to discuss:
- Nominating Committee Report – from Bill Rock
- Nominating Committee has completed their responsibilities – there is at least one candidate nominated for each board position.
- Election Committee Report – from Eric “Gunny” Hartman
- Election will be Sunday, November 14, 2021. Election information will be published in the November M-AURA.
- Next Board Meeting: October 17, 2021
Membership – Paul Whiteman – provided the following report:
- As of August 31st, NTM had 1,132 members, which includes 14 new members: 9 joined, 4 lapsed members rejoined, and 1 moved in.
- Ralf and Pam Kittenbacher agreed to hosting the Fall NTM New Member Party on Saturday, October 9, 2021 from 6:30 PM – 11 PM. A $250 budget was suggested: Durham moved, and Allshouse seconded, which passed unanimously.
Ombudsman - Randy Brack – Nothing to report.
(Helphrey) Scholarship Chair – Jessica Helphrey – Helphrey signed the administrative forms with American NTM for the coming year’s scholarships.
(Helphrey) Publisher/Circulation Manager – Val Beasley – Nothing reported.
(Helphrey) Social and Communications – Jessica Helphrey – no Millennial Meet-up held in September. Ron Rieke has agreed to take a lead for Millennial Meet-up in future months, since Helphrey’s school load is heavier this semester.
(Helphrey) Publicity – Vacant.
(Allshouse) Webmaster – Andy McKellar – Everything is fine.
(Allshouse) Testing Coordinator – Deborah Lockhart – No testing recently. National requested a pause in testing due to the Covid numbers going up.
(Allshouse) Programs – Cathy Allshouse – Special Interest Group check-in will be held for the September General Meeting.
(Allshouse) Calendar - Sara Hawkins – All is running well with the calendar.
(Green) Gifted Youth - Bill Rock – August was online gaming – 6 people attended. 5 attended Movie night in September. Next month will be White Rock Studio Tour.
(Green) S.I.G.H.T. - Gunny Hartman – S.I.G.H.T. – No S.I.G.H.T. services requested recently.
(Green) Editor – Bill Rock – October M-AURA was sent to the printer.
- 2021 RG –
- Durham finally got confirmation from the Quorum Marriott in September that they would agree to a contract in line with our requests. Unfortunately, the RG Committee did not feel this allowed enough time to publicize and prepare an in-person RG for Thanksgiving weekend 2021.
- Therefore, the board voted that this year, NTM will hold a Virtual RG (“RG Lite”), with a Saturday night in-person party, and will hold an in-person RG next year over the Thanksgiving weekend 2022. Durham can proceed on negotiating with the Quorum Marriott for Thanksgiving weekend 2022.
- Fall New Member Party – Ralf & Pam Kittenbacher have agreed to host the Fall New Member Party on Saturday, October 9, 2021, from 6:30 PM – 11 PM.
Motion to adjourn made by Durham, seconded by Green, and passed unanimously. Meeting adjourned at 6:28 pm. Submitted as Board Proceedings pending approval as Minutes by Whiteman, NTM Secretary.