• general_photos_3_20110910_1998253165

    general_photos_3_20110910_1998253165

  • 2005_day_1_12_20110910_1604307063

    2005_day_1_12_20110910_1604307063

  • march_2009_3_20110910_1643772257

    march_2009_3_20110910_1643772257

  • new_members_party_25_20110910_1287628408

    new_members_party_25_20110910_1287628408

  • 2005_day_1_10_20110910_1313678415

    2005_day_1_10_20110910_1313678415

  • chess_for_kids_-_teens_15_20110910_1539734443

    chess_for_kids_-_teens_15_20110910_1539734443

  • 2005_day_1_1_20110910_1354893354

    2005_day_1_1_20110910_1354893354

  • 2005_day_1_11_20110910_1969495763

    2005_day_1_11_20110910_1969495763

  • new_members_party_45_20110910_1791171461

    new_members_party_45_20110910_1791171461

  • photo01

    photo01

  • Karen Brack and Cindy Telisak

    Karen Brack and Cindy Telisak

  • mine3

    mine3

  • photo4

    photo4

  • ralf

    ralf

  • 100_8868

    100_8868

  • 100_9036

    100_9036

  • 644

    644

  • 20140503_215818

    20140503_215818

  • arnold_dim_scholiarship

    arnold_dim_scholiarship

  • crowd_angle_2

    crowd_angle_2

  • DSC6334

    DSC6334

  • IMG_1618

    IMG_1618

  • IMG_1633

    IMG_1633

  • IMG_1645

    IMG_1645

  • IMG_1725

    IMG_1725

  • IMG_1751

    IMG_1751

  • IMG_2020

    IMG_2020

  • IMG_2033

    IMG_2033

  • IMG_2060

    IMG_2060

  • IMG_3140

    IMG_3140

  • IMG_20140719_202015145

    IMG_20140719_202015145

February 18, 2018 Board Minutes

North Texas Mensa

A Local Group of

American Mensa Ltd.,

A Not-for-Profit Corporation

Meeting called to order at 6:01 pm by President Eric “Gunny” Hartman. Attendees:  Vice President John Marshall, Secretary Roger Durham, and board members Anne Whiteman, and George Schmidt.  Treasurer Doug Fix attended remotely via speaker phone, and Chris Cree arrived late.

  1. 1. Reports

Secretary - The proposed January 2018 Board Meeting minutes were circulated.  There were no additions or corrections and Marshall moved, Schmidt seconded to approve the minutes, which passed unanimously.

Treasurer – Fix reported on the January financials which included income of $1,275.12 and expenses of $1,650.36, generating a net deficit of $375.24 for the month of January 2018.  Report received with thanks.  Fix went on to submit a proposed budget featuring income for the year of $14,560 and expenses of $17,718.20.  Marshall moved, Schmidt seconded, to add $100 to testing expense.  After discussion, Marshall moved, Schmidt seconded, to adopt the budget as amended.  Passed unanimously.  (Budget will be appended to approved minutes as Attachment “A”.)

President – Hartman presented the President’s Report, including a reminder to renew memberships by next month, if necessary, after which the following reports were received (names in parentheses are Board liaisons for those offices):

Bobby Burns – Karen and Randy Brack reported that the Bobby Burns Birthday Bash took place as scheduled, with attendance of 51.  The event incurred a deficit of $868.71, which the Board had previously agreed to subsidize.

Membership – Whiteman had previously submitted the membership report by email.  As of January 31, 2018, 1,268 members reported, up from 1,251 on December 31, 2017.  Whiteman further reported that the New Members’ Party will probably be held at Gail Spurlock’s home, on a date to be determined.  Marshall moved, Schmidt seconded, to approve the planned location.  Passed unanimously.

Ombudsman - Randy Brack, nothing to report as ombudsman.

(Cree) Editor – Bill Rock, via email, reported no problems with the M-Aura, which went to the printer on Thursday.  He thanked all those who submitted photos.

(Cree) Publisher/Circulation Manager – Val Beasley, nothing to report.

(Cree) Social and Communications – Vacant

(Cree) Publicity – Vacant

 (Whiteman) Webmaster – Andy McKellar, via email, reported no real change from last month.  He will try to get current policies posted when he returns from out of town.

(Whiteman) Proctor/Testing Coordinator - Deborah Lockhart – 11 people tested on Saturday.  Some candidates were so obnoxious that Elisa Miller resigned as a proctor.

(Whiteman) Programs – Karen Brack reported that a speaker has been secured for April.

(Whiteman) Calendar - Sara Hawkins – no report.

(Schmidt) Gifted Children - Bill Rock – 14 Gifted Youth participated in the Escape Room; none of the 3 teams was able to “escape”.  March event will be a games afternoon at TreeHouse.  M76 events are being included in the M-Aura whenever possible, including a DMA evening in March.

(Schmidt) S.I.G.H.T. - Gunny Hartman, nothing to report.

(Schmidt) Scholarship Chair – Ralf Kittenbacher – No report.

  1. 2. Old Business – Whiteman reported that name tags will be ordered in time for the New Members’ Party.
  1. 3. New Business - Cree pointed out that printing and mailing the local newsletter costs nearly 150% of the amount we get reimbursed by American Mensa. 58% of our members still receive a print copy.  He will present a proposal next month for a method of persuading more members to choose electronic delivery.

Whiteman proposed renting a margarita machine for the New Members’ Party.  She will investigate costs.

Deborah Lockhart mentioned that she might need someone to oversee the use of the community room for our Board and General Meetings if she needs to go out of town for an extended time.  She has a possible candidate and will keep the Board informed.

Marshall brought up Facebook security issues.  No action proposed, but Board will continue to monitor.

Motion to adjourn made by Marshall, seconded by Schmidt, unanimously approved. Meeting adjourned at 7:13 p.m.

 

Attachment A

Income

AML Subsidy 13,820.00

Loan Interest 400.00

M-Aura Advertising 40.00

NMP Income 300.00

RG Income 0.00

Total Income 14,560.00

Expenses

Bobby Burns Subsidy 1,000.00

Bank Charge 0.00

Election Expense33.00

General Meeting 456.96

Gifted Children 240.00

M-Aura Printing 10,800.00

M-Aura Postage 2,345.40

Mailing Supplies 466.80

Membership Expense 387.12

Miscellaneous 758.00

Name Badges 100.00

Scholarship 100.00

Storage Unit 840.00

Testing Expense 216.26

Website 75.00

Total Expenses 17,818.54

Overall Surplus/(Deficit) -3,258.54