• general_photos_3_20110910_1998253165


  • 2005_day_1_12_20110910_1604307063


  • march_2009_3_20110910_1643772257


  • new_members_party_25_20110910_1287628408


  • 2005_day_1_10_20110910_1313678415


  • chess_for_kids_-_teens_15_20110910_1539734443


  • 2005_day_1_1_20110910_1354893354


  • 2005_day_1_11_20110910_1969495763


  • new_members_party_45_20110910_1791171461


  • photo01


  • Karen Brack and Cindy Telisak

    Karen Brack and Cindy Telisak

  • mine3


  • photo4


  • ralf


  • 100_8868


  • 100_9036


  • 644


  • 20140503_215818


  • arnold_dim_scholiarship


  • crowd_angle_2


  • DSC6334


  • IMG_1618


  • IMG_1633


  • IMG_1645


  • IMG_1725


  • IMG_1751


  • IMG_2020


  • IMG_2033


  • IMG_2060


  • IMG_3140


  • IMG_20140719_202015145


     December 15, 2019 Board Minutes

North Texas Mensa

A Local Group of

American Mensa Ltd.

   A Not-for-Profit Corporation

Meeting called to order at 6:00 pm by President Gunny Hartman. Attendees: Vice-President John Marshall, Treasurer Doug Fix, Secretary Roger Durham, and Board members Chris Cree, George Schmidt, and Anne Whiteman.

  1. Reports

Secretary - The proposed November 2019 Board Meeting Minutes were circulated. Marshall moved, Schmidt seconded to approve the minutes as submitted, which passed unanimously.   

Treasurer – Treasurer Doug Fix reported on the November financials which included income of $1,236.56 and expenses of $1,275.92, generating a net deficit of $39.36 for the month of November. Total assets decreased to $32,626.48 as of November 30, 2019. Report received with thanks.

President – Hartman presented the President’s Report. He began by introducing Aaron Adair, a new Board member for 2020, following which the current Board members introduced themselves. Hartman then informed everyone that the first Board meeting of 2020 will be on January 19, 2020, at the usual time and place. The following reports were also received (names in parentheses are Board liaisons for each office):

Membership – Paul Whiteman - reported by email that as of November 30 NTM had 1,200 members, up from 1,169 on November 30. Whiteman has agreed to serve in the same position for 2020.

Ombudsman - Randy Brack – reported a problem with the NTM Election Code which needs to be resolved. Full discussion was deferred to New Business.

Election Committee – Andy McKellar – reported by email that the election of 2020 officers was held at the November General Meeting. John Marshall (President), George Schmidt (Vice-President), Anne Whiteman (Secretary), and Roger Durham (Treasurer) were all unopposed and therefore declared elected. Ballots for Board Member at Large were counted and Rolando Chapa, Pamela Evers, and Aaron Adair were declared elected. In addition, the following officers of the NTM Scholarship Foundation were re-elected: Deborah Lockhart (President), Dennis Nienkerk (Vice-President), Anne Whiteman (Secretary), and Roger Durham (Treasurer). (The full election report appears in the January M-Aura.)

(Cree) Editor – Bill Rock - reported by email that the newsletter will go to the printer as soon as he receives the RVC’s column. He will continue as Editor for 2020.

(Cree) Publisher/Circulation Manager – Val Beasley – no report, but is willing to continue in office for another year.

(Cree) Social and Communications – Vacant.

(Cree) Publicity – Vacant.

(Whiteman) Webmaster – Andy McKellar – nothing to report, but will continue as Webmaster for 2020.

(Whiteman) Testing Coordinator – Deborah Lockhart – Durham reported that 4 candidates were tested on December 14. Lockhart agreed to continue in this position for another year.

(Whiteman) Programs – Karen Brack – no report, but has agreed to continue as Program Chair next year.

(Whiteman) Calendar - Sara Hawkins – reported that Ty O’Neal’s weekly lunch event has been removed from the calendar, as the venue has closed and no one has been able to reach Ty. Hawkins will continue in this position in 2020.

(Schmidt) Gifted Children - Bill Rock - reported that plans for later this month include a plant tour and Meals on Wheels. The holiday crafts session today was attended by 3 families. Rock will continue for another year.

(Schmidt) S.I.G.H.T. - Gunny Hartman – nothing to report, but will serve for another year.

(Schmidt) Scholarship Chair – Ralf Kittenbacher – no report, but will serve for another year.

(Schmidt) Regional Gathering – Carol Hilson and Anne Whiteman – Whiteman reported that everyone appeared to enjoy the RG. Durham (RG Treasurer) reported that only 95 people attended, most of whom did not stay at the hotel, and that in consequence a loss of nearly $3,000 was sustained, due to our failure to meet our guarantee of 96 room/nights.

President-elect – Marshall reported that, in addition to those noted above, Pam Kittenbacher and Cookie Neely have agreed to continue as Area Coordinators, and Art Pletcher will continue as East Texas Gifted Youth Coordinator.

2. Old Business:


3. New Business:

       Durham moved, Marshall seconded, to appropriate the sum of up to $3,000 to be transferred to the RG Committee to pay all remaining obligations for the RG. Passed unanimously.

       Durham moved, Marshall seconded, that he be authorized to give the Marriott Quorum notice of cancellation of the remaining 2 years of our contract, and to begin discussions with both them and other hotels for a new contract with a lower room guarantee. Passed unanimously.

       Marshall moved, Schmidt seconded, to amend the 2020 Election Code to delete the last sentence of Section 3, Rule 14, and substitute the following: “Verification shall take place after in-person voting has completed. If a mail-in ballot is found for a person who has voted in person, the mail-in ballot shall be discarded.” Passed unanimously.


 Motion to adjourn made by Marshall, seconded by Schmidt, unanimously approved. Meeting adjourned at 6:54 p.m. Submitted by Roger Durham, NTM Secretary.