May 17, 2020 Board Proceedings
North Texas Mensa
A Local Group of
American Mensa Ltd.
A Not-for-Profit Corporation
Meeting called to order at 6:02 pm by President John Marshall. Attendees by Zoom: President John Marshall, Vice-President George Schmidt, Treasurer Roger Durham, Secretary Anne Whiteman, and Board Members at Large Aaron Adair and Ken Roberts. Not present: Board Member at Large Rolando Chapa.
Secretary – Whiteman – The proposed April 2020 Board Meeting Minutes were circulated. Schmidt moved, Durham seconded to approve the minutes as presented, which passed unanimously.
Treasurer – Durham – The April 30 bank account balance was $21,156.38 together with a note receivable of $10,000.00, showing an increase in net worth to $31,156.38, compared to net worth of $30,756.88 on March 31. Income of $1,085.17 and expenses of $685.67 generated a surplus of $399.50 for the month of April, 2020. Board accepted the report with thanks.
President – President Marshall prepared the following agenda of topics to discuss:
- Renewal of membership report
- Resignation of Pamela Evers; Ken Roberts was appointed by Marshall. Schmidt moved to accept the appointment and Durham seconded the motion. Board unanimously accepted and affirmed the appointment.
- New Members Party postponed indefinitely.
- Appoint new member for Gatherings Committee to replace Rik Hess.
- Next Board Meeting: June 21, 2020 [Fathers Day] via Zoom.
Membership – Paul Whiteman – provided the following report:
- As of April 30, NTM had 1,027 members, which includes 254 members leaving, 252 of these were lapsed members (so 2 members left that weren’t lapsed). Of the lapsed member, 11 have already rejoined. Besides the 11 that rejoined, 1 new joined, and 2 moved in, for a total of 14 members joining.
Ombudsman - Randy Brack – nothing to report.
Nominating Committee – Bill Rock was appointed to the committee.
Election Committee – Vacant.
(Chapa) Editor – Bill Rock – June M-Aura is going to the printer this evening. Activities are caveated on things opening up and the hosts being willing to host.
(Chapa) Publisher/Circulation Manager – Val Beasley – no report.
(Chapa) Social and Communications – Vacant.
(Chapa) Publicity – Vacant.
(Roberts) Webmaster – Andy McKellar – Everything is working fine on the website, as far as he knows.
(Roberts) Testing Coordinator – Deborah Lockhart – No testing done, due to COVID-19 – testing locations were not available.
(Roberts) Programs – Vacant.
(Roberts) Calendar - Sara Hawkins – Reported there is nothing to report.
(Adair) Gifted Youth - Bill Rock – May event (Klyde Warren Park visit) is scheduled for next weekend. April fossil hunting was cancelled.
(Adair) S.I.G.H.T. - Gunny Hartman – No S.I.G.H.T. services requested in accordance with restrictions on travel.
Scholarship Chair – Ralf Kittenbacher – All scholarship essays got scored and the 3 choices for the local scholarships have been uploaded. Not sure when we will hear about the winners from National. Things may have been delayed due to COVID-19. The funds to be awarded are for use in the Fall 2020 semester.
Regional Gathering – Vacant.
- Old Business:
- 2020 RG? If so, need permission from National (First step, contact RVC). Report from Durham and Karen Brack on site visit.
- Vote to not have a physical RG: Schmidt moved, and Adair seconded the motion. Motion passed, 5-1, Durham opposed.
- Vote to have a virtual RG: Schmidt moved, and Adair seconded the motion. Motion passed, 5-1, Durham opposed.
- New Business:
- None brought up.
Motion to adjourn made by Schmidt, seconded by Durham, and passed unanimously. Meeting adjourned at 6:43 p.m. Submitted as Board Proceedings pending approval as Minutes by Whiteman, NTM Secretary.