June 21, 2020 Board Minutes
North Texas Mensa
A Local Group of American Mensa Ltd.
A Not-for-Profit Corporation
Meeting called to order at 6:00 pm by President John Marshall. Attendees by Zoom: President John Marshall, Vice-President George Schmidt, Treasurer Roger Durham, Secretary Anne Whiteman, and Board Members at Large Aaron Adair and Ken Roberts. Not present: Board Member at Large Rolando Chapa.
Secretary – Whiteman – The proposed May 2020 Board Meeting Minutes were circulated. Schmidt moved, Roberts seconded to approve the minutes as presented, which passed unanimously.
Treasurer – Durham – The May 31 bank account balance was $21,430.05 together with a note receivable of $10,000.00, showing an increase in net worth to $31,430.05, compared to net worth of $31,156.38 on April 30. Income of $878.21 and expenses of $604.54 generated a surplus of $273.67 for the month of May, 2020. Report was received with thanks.
President – President Marshall prepared the following agenda of topics to discuss:
- New Members Party date? Spring party cancelled; Fall party will be considered later.
- Appoint new member for Gatherings Committee to replace Rik Hess.
- Randy Brack was appointed. Roberts moved and Schmidt seconded. The board unanimously agreed.
- Proposed change of Board and General meetings to the Second Sunday.
- Roberts moved, but no one seconded. Board did not agree to change the meeting day – the motion failed for want of a second.
- Proposed amendments to Article V §3 [email notice of Board meetings]; Article VII §1[email ballots for amendments to by-laws and elections]; Article VI §9 [adding
subsection C to allow email submission of ballots, whether scanned from hard copy or electronically sent to members]
- There are local minimum standard bylaws that need to be adhered to, and Brack will send these to the board.
- Appointment of Election Committee member: Andy McKellar
- A Chairperson for the committee was needed; Paul Whiteman volunteered.
- Adair moved to accept Paul Whiteman as the chair, and Roberts seconded; board unanimously approved.
- Next Board Meeting: July 19, 2020
Membership – Paul Whiteman – provided the following report:
- As of May 31, NTM had 1,054 members, which includes 15 new members: 11 lapsed members rejoined, and 4 new members joined. 3 members left – 1 through death, and 2 moved out. Paul Whiteman plans on contacting lapsed members either via e-mail or phone calls.
Ombudsman - Randy Brack – nothing to report. As Bylaws Committee, Randy will send out the local minimum standard bylaws.
Nominating Committee – Bill Rock: One returning member from last year. Soliciting additional members. Board is encouraged to send nominating committee possibles and also anyone interested in running for re/election to Bill.
Election Committee – Vacant.
(Chapa) Editor – Bill Rock – July M-Aura went to the printer a week ago. No problems.
(Chapa) Publisher/Circulation Manager – Val Beasley – no report.
(Chapa) Social and Communications – Vacant.
(Chapa) Publicity – Vacant.
(Roberts) Webmaster – Andy McKellar – Nothing special on the website. So far as I know and can tell, all is current and working properly.
(Roberts) Testing Coordinator – Deborah Lockhart – No testing done, due to COVID-19 – testing locations were not available. National Mensa is trying to get an automated method of testing up and working for a person to test online without a proctor. If this is successful, proctors may not be needed in the future.
(Roberts) Programs – Vacant.
(Roberts) Calendar - Sara Hawkins – Reported there is nothing to report.
(Adair) Gifted Youth - Bill Rock – We have 2 families RSVPed for blueberries (June 21st) and 2 families for canoeing (July 11)
(Adair) S.I.G.H.T. - Gunny Hartman – S.I.G.H.T. - Gunny was contacted by Dirk Rossel from Zurich, Switzerland. He’s planning to visit us in August and is looking for activities to do, assuming the shooting tournament in McKinney goes according to plan.
(Adair) Scholarship Chair – Ralf Kittenbacher – No report.
Regional Gathering – Vacant.
- Old Business: None.
- New Business: Virtual Regional Gathering – Roberts provided some ideas of how to do this, including:
- Charge $5 per Zoom session meeting, or $50 for all sessions.
- Have 16 1-hour Zoom session meetings – 4 in the morning; 4 in the afternoon, both on Friday and Saturday.
- Solicit speakers from AG speakers, Rotary Club, Leadership Plano, past RG speakers, Ted Talk speakers, etc.
- RG advertising would go to all of NTM as well as through National Mensa.
- There could be virtual tastings as well as virtual craft sessions.
- Roberts and Adair were assigned to research and plan this further; if they come up with 16 speakers by the next board meeting, we may consider holding the virtual RG.
Motion to adjourn made by Schmidt, seconded by Adair, and passed unanimously. Meeting adjourned at 6:49 p.m. Submitted as Board Proceedings pending approval as Minutes by Whiteman, NTM Secretary.