• general_photos_3_20110910_1998253165

    general_photos_3_20110910_1998253165

  • 2005_day_1_12_20110910_1604307063

    2005_day_1_12_20110910_1604307063

  • march_2009_3_20110910_1643772257

    march_2009_3_20110910_1643772257

  • new_members_party_25_20110910_1287628408

    new_members_party_25_20110910_1287628408

  • 2005_day_1_10_20110910_1313678415

    2005_day_1_10_20110910_1313678415

  • chess_for_kids_-_teens_15_20110910_1539734443

    chess_for_kids_-_teens_15_20110910_1539734443

  • 2005_day_1_1_20110910_1354893354

    2005_day_1_1_20110910_1354893354

  • 2005_day_1_11_20110910_1969495763

    2005_day_1_11_20110910_1969495763

  • new_members_party_45_20110910_1791171461

    new_members_party_45_20110910_1791171461

  • photo01

    photo01

  • Karen Brack and Cindy Telisak

    Karen Brack and Cindy Telisak

  • mine3

    mine3

  • photo4

    photo4

  • ralf

    ralf

  • 100_8868

    100_8868

  • 100_9036

    100_9036

  • 644

    644

  • 20140503_215818

    20140503_215818

  • arnold_dim_scholiarship

    arnold_dim_scholiarship

  • crowd_angle_2

    crowd_angle_2

  • DSC6334

    DSC6334

  • IMG_1618

    IMG_1618

  • IMG_1633

    IMG_1633

  • IMG_1645

    IMG_1645

  • IMG_1725

    IMG_1725

  • IMG_1751

    IMG_1751

  • IMG_2020

    IMG_2020

  • IMG_2033

    IMG_2033

  • IMG_2060

    IMG_2060

  • IMG_3140

    IMG_3140

  • IMG_20140719_202015145

    IMG_20140719_202015145

                                                                 July 19, 2020 Board Minutes

                                                                         North Texas Mensa

                                                           A Local Group of American Mensa Ltd.

                                                                   A Not-for-Profit Corporation

Meeting called to order at 6:04 pm by President John Marshall.  Attendees by Zoom: President John Marshall, Vice-President George Schmidt, Treasurer Roger Durham, Secretary Anne Whiteman, and Board Members at Large Aaron Adair and Ken Roberts.  Not present:  Board Member at Large Rolando Chapa.

  1. Reports

Secretary – Whiteman – The proposed June 2020 Board Meeting Minutes were circulated.  Schmidt moved, Adair seconded to approve the minutes as presented, which passed unanimously.  

Treasurer – Durham – The June 30 bank account balance was $20,818.75 together with a note receivable of $10,000.00, showing a decrease in net worth to $30,818.75, compared to net worth of $31,430.05 on May 31.  Income of $1,003.32 and expenses of $1,614.62 generated a deficit of $611.30 for the month of June 2020, entirely attributable to a semi-annual postage deposit of $900.  Net worth increased $61.62 for the quarter beginning April 1.  Treasurer’s report was accepted with thanks.

President – President Marshall prepared the following agenda of topics to discuss:

  • Proposed amendments to Article V §3 [email notice of Board meetings]; Article VII §1

[E-mail ballots for amendments to by-laws and elections]; Article VI §9 [adding

subsection C to allow email submission of ballots, whether scanned from hard copy or electronically sent to members].  Randy Brack recommended reformatting the submittal so the “before” and “after” can be easily compared. Marshall will establish a Referendum Committee to go through this process that could last anywhere from 6 months to 1-1/2 years.

  • Next Board Meeting: August 16, 2020

Membership – Paul Whiteman – provided the following report:

  • As of June 31, NTM had 1,082 members, which includes 16 new members: 11 lapsed members rejoined, and 4 new members joined, 1 move in. 1 member moved out. 
  • New member party for fall is in jeopardy due to COVID-19 restrictions.

Ombudsman - Randy Brack – nothing to report. 

Nominating Committee – Bill Rock:  Bill contacted the current board members to see who interested in running for re-election for the 2021 NTM board.

Election Committee – Paul Whiteman.  We have some dates coming up for Election Code that need to be met for the September M-AURA.  Randy Brack will send Paul the most recent Election Code, and Paul will put it on the NTM website and use it to determine an modifications needed for this year’s election.

(Chapa) Editor – Bill Rock – Editor:  M-Aura went to the printer on Friday, as the RVC column was delayed (can you believe this?) for a vacation.  Some board members have discussed bringing back color for the covers, estimate from the printer was forwarded last week.

(Chapa) Publisher/Circulation Manager – Val Beasley – no report.

(Chapa) Social and Communications – Vacant.

(Chapa) Publicity – Vacant.

(Roberts) Webmaster – Andy McKellar – Andy had mentioned he would like to clean up the user IDs for the NTM website.  He doesn't want to delete any users (unless they are deceased), just block access by those who have quit logging in.  His question is "How long a hiatus is too long?"  If he shouldn't block anyone, that's valid; he is just concerned about "abandoned" IDs being taken over by someone else.  The board decided that Andy and Membership Chair Paul Whiteman should work together to remove user IDs of deceased members, and block access of those who are no longer members.

(Roberts) Testing Coordinator – Deborah Lockhart – No testing done, due to COVID-19 – testing locations were not available.  National Mensa is trying to get an automated method of testing up and working for a person to test online without a proctor.  If this is successful, proctors may not be needed in the future.

(Roberts) Programs – Vacant.

(Roberts) Calendar - Sara Hawkins – Reported there is nothing to report.

(Adair) Gifted Youth - Bill Rock – Gifted Youth:  Two families attended the canoeing this weekend.  All went fine.

(Adair) S.I.G.H.T. - Gunny Hartman – S.I.G.H.T. – Nothing to report as Mensans visiting our area seem to be virtually nonexistent.

 

(Adair) Scholarship Chair – Ralf Kittenbacher – No report.

Regional Gathering – Adair and Roberts.

  1. Old Business: Virtual Regional Gathering – Adair provided a report from the RG Committee.  The committee has come up with a list of potential virtual presentations, enough to fill up 16 slots of presentations – 4 in the morning; 4 in the afternoon for 2 days.  The proposed dates would be November 27 & 28 (Thanksgiving weekend). Saturday evening there would be an in-person gathering, which may also double as our new member party, either at the Roberts’ house or at the Haggard Party Barn in Plano.  There would be 2 tastings at the in-person gathering Saturday evening:  one at 6 PM and one at 9 PM – a virtual option for the tastings would also be available.  Jason Brown also mentioned he could possibly do a “Name That Movie” event, as well as some virtual gaming events such as: “Ticket to Ride” and “JackBox”, using Steam accounts that most gamers already have. A cooking presentation as well as craft presentations would be given by Lori Roberts.  The proposed price of the RG would be $10/person or $15/household, plus the cost of any tastings, to keep in line with the price other virtual RGs are charging.  Two or three Zoom Pro sessions would be needed, which cost $15/month.  The committee asked for permission to proceed with the plans to put on the virtual RG.  Schmidt moved, and Marshall seconded the motion.  Motion passed, 5-1, Durham opposed. 

 

  1. New Business:

 

  • Durham brought up the suggestion to print color covers for the M-AURA, since the M-AURA is the main connection we have with the NTM membership during the COVID19 pandemic, and color looks more appealing. Moved by Schmidt, and Adair seconded the motion.  Board unanimously agreed.
  • Roberts made a motion to purchase one Zoom account for 12 months for $149. Additional Zoom accounts will be needed during the time of the RG. Whiteman seconded the motion.  Unanimously approved.
  • Whiteman asked if Rolando Chapo was still a member of the NTM Board, since he had missed 3 consecutive board meetings. Marshall will check to see why he missed; depending on what he finds, we may have another board opening.

 

Motion to adjourn made by Roberts, seconded by Schmidt, seconded by Adair, and passed unanimously. Meeting adjourned at 7:20 p.m.  Submitted as Board Proceedings pending approval as Minutes by Whiteman, NTM Secretary.