May 16, 2021 Board Meeting Minutes
North Texas Mensa
A Local Group of
American Mensa Ltd.
A Not-for-Profit Corporation
Meeting called to order at 6:08 pm by President George Schmidt. Attendees included: President George Schmidt, Treasurer Roger Durham, Secretary Anne Whiteman, Board Members at Large Cathy Allshouse and Jennifer Green. Present via Zoom: Vice President Aaron Adair and Board Member at Large Jessica Helphrey.
Secretary – Whiteman – The proposed April 2021 Board Meeting Minutes were circulated. Durham moved, Allshouse seconded to approve the minutes as presented, which passed unanimously.
Treasurer – Durham – The April 30th bank account balance was $22,288.22 together with a note receivable of $10,000.00, showing an increase in net worth to $32,288.22, compared to net worth of $32,165.82 on March 31st. Income of $1,145.37 and expenses of $1022.97 generated a net surplus of $122.40 for the month of April, 2021, due mostly to receipt of the $100.00 quarterly interest payment from the NTM Scholarship Foundation.
President – President Schmidt prepared the following agenda of topics to discuss:
- Members of Nominating and Election Committees
- Durham will contact Jeffrey Bromberger, and Schmidt will contact Bill Rock.
- July 4th Party – NTM will underwrite the whole cost, and provide all the food and drink.
- We will put it in the July M-AURA, and send out an e-mail blast.
- RG (Regional Gathering) – Where, When, Notify National.
- Plans for this still need to be finalized.
- Next Board Meeting: June 20, 2021. General Meeting will start at 7:30 PM in June.
Membership – Paul Whiteman – provided the following report:
- As of April 30th, NTM had 1,057 members, which includes 24 new members: 18 lapsed members rejoined, 4 new members joined, and 2 moved in. Three members left due to moving out.
Ombudsman - Randy Brack – Nothing for the Ombudsman to report this month.
(Helphrey) Scholarship Chair – Jessica Helphrey – Nothing to report.
(Helphrey) Publisher/Circulation Manager – Val Beasley – Nothing reported.
(Helphrey) Social and Communications – Jessica Helphrey – Millenial Meetup will occur on June 15th.
(Helphrey) Publicity – Vacant.
(Allshouse) Webmaster – Andy McKellar – No change; all appears well.
(Allshouse) Testing Coordinator – Deborah Lockhart – No testing recently.
(Allshouse) Programs – Cathy Allshouse – North Texas Mensa general meetings have resumed. In June, Marcus Baker from the North Texas Food Bank will be doing a presentation on Food Insecurity during the Covid pandemic.
(Allshouse) Calendar - Sara Hawkins – Things are going well with the calendar. Nothing to report at this time.
(Green) Gifted Youth - Bill Rock – Gifted Youth had four families participating in the White Rock Lake trash pickup on May 8th. Young Eagles flights are planned for May 22/23. For June, a virtual presentation on biodiversity from the Half-Earth Project is planned.
(Green) S.I.G.H.T. - Gunny Hartman – S.I.G.H.T. – No requests for S.I.G.H.T. services since the last meeting. More travelers were expected by this point, but perhaps we will see more of that this summer.
(Green) Editor – Bill Rock – June M-AURA should be ready for the printer May 16th. Thanks go out to those who provided inputs and/or photos.
- 2021 RG – Durham and Adair will go up to the hotel on May 25th to check it out and meet with Chris Jennings.
Motion to adjourn made by Durham, seconded by Whiteman, and passed unanimously. Meeting adjourned at 6:36 pm. Submitted as Board Proceedings pending approval as Minutes by Whiteman, NTM Secretary.