October 17, 2021 Board Meeting Minutes
North Texas Mensa
A Local Group of
American Mensa Ltd.
A Not-for-Profit Corporation
Meeting called to order at 6:12 pm by President George Schmidt. Attendees included: President George Schmidt, Treasurer Roger Durham, Secretary Anne Whiteman, Board Members at Large: Cathy Allshouse, Jennifer Green, and Jessica Helphrey. Present by Zoom: Vice President Aaron Adair.
Secretary – Whiteman – The proposed September 2021 Board Meeting Minutes were circulated electronically. Durham moved, Green seconded to approve the minutes as presented, which passed unanimously.
Treasurer – Durham – The September 30 bank account balance was $21,222.06 together with a note receivable of $10,000.00, showing an increase in net worth to $31,222.06, compared to net worth of $30,951.14 on August 31. Income of $1028.02 and expenses of $797.10 generated a net surplus of $270.92 for the month of September 2021.
President – President Schmidt prepared the following agenda of topics to discuss:
- Election Committee Report – from Eric “Gunny” Hartman
- Ballot has been sent along via the M-AURA, and the Post Office Box has been secured. The election with be on November 14th.
- Next Board Meeting: November 14, 2021.
Membership – Paul Whiteman – provided the following report:
- As of September 30th, NTM had 1,150 members, which includes 19 new members: 8 joined, 10 lapsed members rejoined, and 1 moved in. 3 members left due to moving out.
- Ralf and Pam Kittenbacher were wonderful hosts for the Fall NTM New Member Party on Saturday, October 9, 2021 from 6:30 PM – 11 PM. 31 people attended, 4 “new members” or members who never attended an NTM New Member Party were in attendance: Lee Smith, Tony Mauro, Jennifer Wallace, and Steven Vazquez.
Ombudsman - Randy Brack – Nothing to report.
(Helphrey) Scholarship Chair – Jessica Helphrey – Helphrey signed the administrative forms with the Mensa Foundation Scholarship Program for the coming year’s scholarships.
(Helphrey) Publisher/Circulation Manager – Val Beasley – M-AURA is at the printer and will be sent out via USPS as usual after it gets done.
(Helphrey) Social and Communications – Jessica Helphrey – Nothing to report.
(Helphrey) Publicity – Vacant.
(Allshouse) Webmaster – Andy McKellar – Everything is fine – he will put more information on the website concerning the upcoming Regional Gathering.
(Allshouse) Proctor/Testing Coordinator – Deborah Lockhart – No testing recently. National requested a pause in testing due to the Covid numbers going up.
(Allshouse) Programs – Cathy Allshouse – For October’s program, Paul Whiteman will be giving an overview of Special Relativity.
(Allshouse) Calendar - Sara Hawkins – All is running well with the calendar.
(Green) Gifted Youth - Bill Rock – 5 families attended the White Rock Studio Tour in October.
(Green) S.I.G.H.T. - Gunny Hartman – S.I.G.H.T. – Nothing to report.
(Green) Editor – Bill Rock – November M-AURA was sent to the printer.
- RG Update – Virtual RG – 9 speaker slots – 4 committed, 2 tentative, 3 available.
- Friday, 11/26/21, 4 – 6 PM – Belgium chocolate and whiskey tasting at Playwright Pub in Dallas. Price isn’t known yet.
- Friday evening will feature comedy events by Tim Mooney for $10 / person.
- Saturday, 11/27/21 at 6 PM – Craft Cocktail Class at The People’s Last Stand at Mockingbird Station – $50/person. Social time to follow from 8 – 10 PM.
- New Members Party Report – Reported in Membership section above.
- Awards Ceremony in December – move to Sunday, 12/12/2021, and have a Volunteer Recognition meeting that evening as the General Meeting. Whiteman moved, Allshouse seconded, which passed unanimously.
Motion to adjourn made by Durham, seconded by Adair, and passed unanimously. Meeting adjourned at 6:39 pm. Submitted as Board Proceedings pending approval as Minutes by Whiteman, NTM Secretary.