• general_photos_3_20110910_1998253165

    general_photos_3_20110910_1998253165

  • 2005_day_1_12_20110910_1604307063

    2005_day_1_12_20110910_1604307063

  • march_2009_3_20110910_1643772257

    march_2009_3_20110910_1643772257

  • new_members_party_25_20110910_1287628408

    new_members_party_25_20110910_1287628408

  • 2005_day_1_10_20110910_1313678415

    2005_day_1_10_20110910_1313678415

  • chess_for_kids_-_teens_15_20110910_1539734443

    chess_for_kids_-_teens_15_20110910_1539734443

  • 2005_day_1_1_20110910_1354893354

    2005_day_1_1_20110910_1354893354

  • 2005_day_1_11_20110910_1969495763

    2005_day_1_11_20110910_1969495763

  • new_members_party_45_20110910_1791171461

    new_members_party_45_20110910_1791171461

  • photo01

    photo01

  • Karen Brack and Cindy Telisak

    Karen Brack and Cindy Telisak

  • mine3

    mine3

  • photo4

    photo4

  • ralf

    ralf

  • 100_8868

    100_8868

  • 100_9036

    100_9036

  • 644

    644

  • 20140503_215818

    20140503_215818

  • arnold_dim_scholiarship

    arnold_dim_scholiarship

  • crowd_angle_2

    crowd_angle_2

  • DSC6334

    DSC6334

  • IMG_1618

    IMG_1618

  • IMG_1633

    IMG_1633

  • IMG_1645

    IMG_1645

  • IMG_1725

    IMG_1725

  • IMG_1751

    IMG_1751

  • IMG_2020

    IMG_2020

  • IMG_2033

    IMG_2033

  • IMG_2060

    IMG_2060

  • IMG_3140

    IMG_3140

  • IMG_20140719_202015145

    IMG_20140719_202015145

January 16, 2022 Board Proceedings

North Texas Mensa

A Local Group of

American Mensa Ltd.

      A Not-for-Profit Corporation

Meeting called to order at 6:05 pm by President Aaron Adair.

Attendees included:

  • President: Aaron Adair
  • Vice President: Collene Goldman
  • Treasurer: Paul Whiteman
  • Secretary: Jennifer Wallace
  • Board Members at Large: Cathy Allshouse, Hutton Kinder, Leza Mesiah
  • Members & outgoing board members present: Bill Rock, Roger Durham, Randy Brack, Anne Whiteman, Spenser N., Deborah Lockhart,

ReportsNote: Board meeting was via Zoom due to COVID concerns presented by the board in the week leading up to the meeting.

Secretary Wallace – The proposed December 2021 Board Meeting Minutes were circulated electronically. No changes were requested; therefore, the minutes are approved.

Treasurer Whiteman – Treasurer’s report submitted by email:

The December 31 bank account balance was $20,353.23 with a note receivable of $10,000.00, showing a decrease in net worth to $30,353.23 compared to net worth of $30,410.84 on November 30.  Income of $1,004.67 and expenses of $1,091.18 generated a net deficit of $86.51 for the month of December 2021, entirely due to an unbudgeted expense of $244.75 for purchase of the "Semper Servitium" awards.

For the entire year 2021, income of $12,605.06 and expenses of $13,643.96 resulted in a deficit of $1,038.90, due in part to the unbudgeted costs of the aforementioned awards and the July 4th party, and partly to postage costs for the M-Aura being over budget.  The excess postage expense, however, was largely due to the timing of our postage deposits, as some of that cost was for mailings that took place in late 2020, and some for mailings that will occur in the early part of 2022.

  • The new board is obligated to review the prior year’s expenditures. This must be done by a disinterested party to last year’s expenditures. Durham was not a check signer last year so is able to perform that review and offered to do so. President Adair accepted the offer with thanks.
  • Budget of $1300 requested for January expenses.
    • Motion by Durham to approve this request.
    • Motion passed unanimously.
  • Collene asked about the Note Receivable.
    • It was explained that this is a loan to the Mensa Scholarship Foundation. The interest rate is 4% and note is callable at the time the North Texas Mensa board would request it.  We receive a payment of $100/quarter.

President – Adair

  • December Honors – Semper Servitium
    • First annual awards
      • Roger, Bill, Randy, & Raff were honored, and the intent is to continue this annual award
    • Next Board Meeting: February 20, 2022
      • Scheduled to be at the Preston Towers Condominiums per usual.

 

Membership – Paul Whiteman

  • Total Members:  1194
  • New Members:    16
  • Joined:     10
  • Rejoined:   5
  • Move In:  1
  • Members Leaving:  1 (Move out)

AGENDA

President – Adair prepared the following agenda of topics to discuss:

  1. Ombudsman – (vacant)
  • Randy Brack is current Ombudsman, but 3-year term expires on Jan 20, 2022.
  • Historically, report is given annually, and issues are categorized as Major, Moderate & Minor.
    • Randy reports 3 minor issues in 2021.
  • If a new ombudsman is selected today, Randy offered to immediately resign so there is no overlap.
  • New ombudsman will begin Jan 17, 2022, so Randy’s resignation is accepted and recognized at Jan 16, 2022.
  1. (Mesiah) Scholarship Chair – Jessica Helphrey
  • Scholarship We have 255 Applications Jessica will be weeding through the disqualifiers. Ralph K has agreed to help in person with judging and they would WELCOME others. Please help. There is no meeting place yet and suggestions or ideas for a location please let Jessica know. That meeting is scheduled for Sunday Jan.30th at 1pm and it can be done virtually via Zoom. Please contact Jessica H. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • Collene volunteered her house & she will be in contact with Jessica to coordinate. Should expect about 6-10 attendees.
  1. (Mesiah) Publisher/Circulation Manager – Val Beasley
  • No reports
  1. (Mesiah) Social & Communications – Jessica Helphrey
  • No report
  1. (Mesiah) Publicity – Vacant
  • Questions from Mesiah regarding social media accounts: Do they exist & if so who owns them?
  • It was suggested the Leza can do some research regarding these so that we can get them activated & that Karen Brack might have some information. R Brack quickly checked with K Brack.
    • Randy reported back that K Brack made the Facebook account years ago and was/is the administrator. She does not remember if she made anyone else admin. She does not remember much about it.
    • Karen's email is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. if Mesiah would like to contact her about it.
    • We did at one time at least have a Twitter account. Mike Magolnick had started it and had the credentials.
    • Same with the North Texas Mensa page. R Brack has access to it but didn’t have the credentials handy. We also have a North Texas Mensa Facebook group.  K Brack would be more adept at helping there.
    • Mike Magolnick might have more info and his email is: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  1. (Allshouse) Webmaster – Andy McKellar
  • New email for Andy: Andy McKellar (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.)
  • Nothing new – he does need to be made aware of any new appointed positions & any changes the board makes. Please note that he has a new email address.  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  1. (Allshouse) Proctor/Testing Coordinator – Deborah Lockhart
  • No report

 

  1. (Allshouse) Programs – Cathy Allshouse
  • No speaker at this time for February
  • March presentation will be on beginning genealogical research. Cathy will provide snacks for the February meeting. 
  1. (Allshouse) Calendar – Sara Hawkins
  • Cathy will begin to email the membership regarding monthly meetings.
  • (Kinder) Gifted Children – Bill Rock
  • 7 people attended the showing of the Social Dilemma
  • Book club on the 6th of Feb
  • Indoor climbing on the 20th
  • A column will appear in the next M-Aura
  • (Kinder) Editor – Bill Rock
  • (Kinder) S.I.G.H.T. – Gunny Hartman
  • There have been no requests for S.I.G.H.T. services over the past month.
  • (Kinder) Regional Gathering – Aaron Adair
  • Collene will be heading the Regional Gathering this year as the New VP.
  • Old Business
  • New committee chair appointments
    • Adair as president has a goal to get more people involved.
    • Publicity chair is a high priority
      • Cannot be a board member, but can be a member at large
      • We want to increase our social media presence.
    • Membership needs to be headed up as well.
    • Trying to get more people involved.
    • Everyone on this meeting – please consider who would be good for this – and reach out to Aaron with ideas on people that might be a good fit/interested.
  • Ombudsman board appointment
    • Two names were given to Aaron
      • Roger Durham & Karen Brack
    • Paul Whiteman motioned to appoint Roger Durham, 2nd by Collene.
    • Board vote was unanimous.
    • Appointment will begin Monday January 17th, 2022.

 

 

  1. New Business
  • M-Aura “From the President” articles
    • Collene wrote the article for current issue.
      • Aaron does not mind writing but would love to have the membership to hear from the entire board, so he is asking that we each submit an article for this column.  It can be anything – can be a bio, can be an article, can be an interesting MENSA subject.
    • Communication
      • Andy had a couple emails bounce back, please make sure he has the Board’s correct email addresses.
      • Leza is not receiving the emails from the NTM-Board group
      • Can email Andy at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. if there are continued issues.
    • Charitable Work
      • Aaron would like us to be more visible to the North Texas community & one of the ways he is like to do this is through charitable work.
      • April is Mensa Volunteer week and Aaron would like us to participate.
      • Think about ways we can reach out to our community & get members involved as well. Send ideas & thoughts to Aaron.
    • 2022 RG
      • Collene will be leading the charge to get this committee formed and started working on the 2022 RG.
        • Collene would like to get sponsorship for this event.
        • Put a call out in the next M-AURA for committee members.
      • Hope is to have an in-person RG in 2022.

 

  • From the floor
  • Anne volunteered to order nametags for the new officers & Committee members – or she can show someone else how to do it.
  • We will put an order in after the February meeting is once all positions are filled. Anne will have an estimated list of the name tags needed & cost so the board can vote on the expense next month.

Motion to adjourn made by Leza, seconded by Collene, and passed unanimously. Meeting adjourned at 7:07 pm. Submitted as Board Proceedings pending approval as Minutes by Wallace.