January 17, 2021 Board Meeting Minutes

                                                                               North Texas Mensa

                                                                                 A Local Group of

                                                                              American Mensa Ltd.

                                                                         A Not-for-Profit Corporation

Meeting called to order at 6:04 pm by President George Schmidt.  Attendees included: President George Schmidt, Treasurer Roger Durham, Secretary Anne Whiteman, Board Members at Large Aaron Adair, Cathy Allshouse, and Jessica Helphrey. Not present: Vice President Jeffrey Bromberger.

  1. Reports

Secretary – Whiteman – The proposed December 2020 Board Meeting Minutes were circulated.  Durham moved, Allshouse seconded to approve the minutes as presented, which passed unanimously. 

Treasurer – Durham – The December 30 bank account balance was $21,362.43 together with a note receivable of $10,000.00, showing an increase in net worth to $31,362.43, compared to net worth of $31,066.83 on November 30.  Income of $1,067.07 and expenses of $771.47 generated a net surplus of $295.60 for the month of December, 2020.  For the year ending December 31, 2020, income of $12,618.37 and expenses of $11,615.41 resulted in a year-over-year increase in net worth of $1,002.96.  Also, the 2020 budget was attached as a starting place for our 2021 budget.  Hopefully 2021 will be much closer to our 2020 projections. The treasurer report was received with thanks.

President – President Schmidt prepared the following agenda of topics to discuss:

  • Announcement of 2021 Officers and Board Members (National office notification)
    • List of Board Members:
      • President: George Schmidt
      • Vice President: Jeffrey Bromberger
      • Treasurer: Roger Durham
      • Secretary: Anne Whiteman
      • Board Member at Large: Aaron Adair, Cathy Allshouse, Jessica Helphrey
    • List of Appointed Officers:
      • Membership: Paul Whiteman
      • Editor: Bill Rock
      • Publisher/Circulation Manager: Val Beasley
      • Webmaster: Andy McKellar
      • Proctor/Testing Coordinator: Deborah Lockhart
      • Programs: Cathy Allshouse
      • Calendar: Sara Hawkins
      • Gifted Children: Bill Rock
      • S.I.G.H.T. – Gunny Hartman
      • Scholarship Chair – Jessica Helphrey
      • Area Coordinator in – Pam Kittenbacher
        • -Denton County
        • -Collin County
        • -Texoma Area
      • Area Coordinator for East Texas – Cookie Neeley
    • Durham motioned; Whiteman seconded. Unanimously approved.
  • Financial Review (who will conduct?) Chris Cree or John Roeder
  • Standing Policies: Review and modify, if so desired.
  • New Members Party discussion
    • Is April too soon? Paul Whiteman to check with Ken & Lori Roberts.
  • 2021 Board Meetings: 3rd Sunday, 6PM. La Madeline’s is reserved for 2 months.
  • Discussion of 2021 RG, to be voted upon in February
    • Via Zoom or in person? Meals provided?  Hilton Garden Inn & Suites
  • 2021 Budget was approved as presented.
    • Adair approved; Helphrey seconded. Unanimously approved.
  • Next Board Meeting: February 21, 2021 at La Madeline’s on Mockingbird Lane.

Membership – Paul Whiteman – provided the following report:

  • As of December 1st, NTM had 1,178 members, which includes 16 new members: 3 lapsed members rejoined, 9 new members joined, and 4 moved in. No members left due to moving out. We had a New Member’s Party in conjunction with the Virtual RG.

Ombudsman - Randy Brack – nothing to report.

Nominating Committee – Bill Rock – no report for this topic from Bill, but technically the committee should be complete with all their activities.

Election Committee – Paul Whiteman – No complaints have been received about the election in the mail.  However, we DID receive 2 ballots after the election, but they would not have changed the outcome of the election. 

(Helphrey) Editor – Bill Rock – February M-AURA is ready to go once we get an RVC column.  February will mark 10 years as editor.

(Helphrey) Publisher/Circulation Manager – Val Beasley – no report.

(Helphrey) Social and Communications – Vacant.

(Helphrey) Publicity – Vacant.

(Allshouse) Webmaster – Andy McKellar – All of our licenses are current, and the website is working correctly, so far as I know; also, I have updated all of the email forwarders to point to the new office holders.  The bad news is that ... although I've updated the email forwarders, I'm not sure they are correct.  We have forwarders for the president, vice president, secretary, and treasurer; also, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. goes to all of those and the board members at large as well.  Most appointed positions also have forwarders associated with them; finally, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. goes to the board and all of the appointee forwarders (very useful for reports like this one).  PLEASE, if any of you are aware of any mistakes I've made, let me know so I can correct them.  If you want to know what we have, log in to the website at www.northtexasmensa.org and look at the contacts list under "Information" on the main menu (if you don't have a login account, you might want to set one up).  If you want to, you can also test it by sending an email to yourself using the appropriate forwarder and waiting to see if you get it.  Finally, if you want your forwarder listed in the M-Aura rather than your real address, tell Bill Rock (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.), not me; I know better than to tell Bill what to do.

(Allshouse) Testing Coordinator – Deborah Lockhart – Nothing to report.

(Allshouse) Programs – Vacant.

(Allshouse) Calendar - Sara Hawkins – All is going great in terms of the calendar.

(Adair) Gifted Youth - Bill Rock – Gifted Youth Gifted Youth will have a virtual parent meeting on the 23rd, and a "thinking about thinking" interactive session in February.  Three families did the Area3 tour in December (separately, [un]?fortunately).

 

(Adair) S.I.G.H.T. - Gunny Hartman – S.I.G.H.T. – Nothing to report for S.I.G.H.T. this month.

(Adair) Scholarship Chair – Jessica Helphrey – Scholarship reading today, and others will be

Thursday and next Sunday.  200 scholarship applications to read/judge by 3 people each.  Some people are doing their reading electronically.

  1. Old Business: N/A 
  1. New Business:
  • Ordering of name tags – Whiteman will do.
  • General meetings – do we want to have Zoom-based general meetings? One has been suggested to resume General Meetings in March, scheduled for 7:00pm following the board meeting.
  • Cathy Allshouse has agreed to serve as Program Chair.

 

Motion to adjourn made by Durham, seconded by Adair, and passed unanimously. Meeting adjourned at 6:38 pm.  Submitted as Board Proceedings pending approval as Minutes by Whiteman, NTM Secretary.