November 14, 2021 Board Meeting Minutes
North Texas Mensa
A Local Group of
American Mensa Ltd.
A Not-for-Profit Corporation
Meeting called to order at 6:11 pm by President George Schmidt. Attendees included: President George Schmidt, Vice President Aaron Adair, Treasurer Roger Durham, Secretary Anne Whiteman, and Board Members at Large: Cathy Allshouse and Jennifer Green. Present by Zoom: Board Member at Large: Jessica Helphrey.
Secretary – Whiteman – The proposed October 2021 Board Meeting Minutes were circulated electronically. Durham moved, Green seconded to approve the minutes as presented, which passed unanimously.
Treasurer – Durham – The October 31 bank account balance was $21,068.49 together with a note receivable of $10,000.00, showing a decrease in net worth to $31,068.49, compared to net worth of $31,222.06 on September 30. Income of $1091.01 and expenses of $1,244.58 generated a net deficit of $153.57 for the month of September 2021, entirely attributable to the cost of the Fall New Members’ Party. The board accepted it with thanks.
President – President Schmidt prepared the following agenda of topics to discuss:
- December Honors – Semper Servitium
- Durham moved to spend $200 to get the awards; Adair seconded; the board unanimously approved.
- Election of Officers and Board Members at Large for 2022
- Election is tonight – Election Chairperson Gunny Hartman is here to run the election.
- Next Board Meeting: December 12, 2021.
Membership – Paul Whiteman – provided the following report:
- As of October 31st, NTM had 1,172 members, which includes 46 new members: 6 joined, 21 lapsed members rejoined, and 19 moved in. 25 members left due to: 1 deceased and 24 moving out. Whiteman suggested that maybe 20 people moved in and out of this area in one month, or National is “catching up” on their member movements.
Ombudsman - Randy Brack – Nothing to report.
(Helphrey) Scholarship Chair – Jessica Helphrey – Scholarship applications are slowly rolling in – currently have approximately 14. Helphrey has been communicating with Douglas Williams from National.
(Helphrey) Publisher/Circulation Manager – Val Beasley – nothing reported.
(Helphrey) Social and Communications – Jessica Helphrey – Nothing to report.
(Helphrey) Publicity – Vacant.
(Allshouse) Webmaster – Andy McKellar – Website seems to be okay, with no real news.
(Allshouse) Proctor/Testing Coordinator – Deborah Lockhart – No testing recently.
(Allshouse) Programs – Cathy Allshouse – For December’s general meeting, we will be honoring 3 extraordinary volunteers for their “Semper Servitium” service.
(Allshouse) Calendar - Sara Hawkins – All is running well with the calendar.
(Green) Gifted Youth - Bill Rock – 2 families showed up at the Dallas Museum of Art yesterday. Holiday crafts are planned for December.
(Green) S.I.G.H.T. - Gunny Hartman – S.I.G.H.T. – Nothing to report.
(Green) Editor – Bill Rock – December M-AURA was sent to the printer.
- RG Update – Virtual RG – 9 speaker slots – 4 committed, 2 tentative, 3 available.
- Friday, 11/26/21, 4 – 6 PM – Belgium chocolate and whiskey tasting at Playwright Pub in Dallas. $50/person
- Friday evening will feature comedy events by Tim Mooney for $10 / person.
- Saturday, 11/27/21 at 6 PM – Craft Cocktail Class at The People’s Last Stand at Mockingbird Station – $50/person. Social time to follow from 8 – 10 PM.
- Schedule and speaker bios will be sent out this week.
- Awards Ceremony in December – Cathy will notify recipients and will order the awards.
- Durham brought up the fact that technically the votes shouldn’t be counted until the 15th of November. The Vice President position is the only one that is contested, so the counting of the ballots will be done on Tuesday, November 16th, 2021, to allow time for all mail-in votes to be received.
Motion to adjourn made by Whiteman, seconded by Durham, and passed unanimously. Meeting adjourned at 6:32 pm. Submitted as Board Proceedings pending approval as Minutes by Whiteman, NTM Secretary.