April 19, 2020 Board Minutes
North Texas Mensa
A Local Group of American Mensa Ltd.
A Not-for-Profit Corporation
Meeting called to order at 6:05 pm by President John Marshall. Attendees by Zoom: Vice-President George Schmidt, Secretary Anne Whiteman, and Board Members at Large Aaron Adair and Pamela Evers. Treasurer Roger Durham was unable to attend due to issues with Zoom.
Secretary – The proposed February 2020 Board Meeting Minutes were circulated, as we did not have a meeting in March 2020. Schmidt moved, Adair seconded to approve the minutes as presented, which passed unanimously.
Treasurer – The March 31 bank account balance was $20,756.88 together with a note receivable of $10,000.00, showing an increase in net worth to $30,756.88, compared to net worth of $30,276.04 on February 29. Income of $1,264.42 and expenses of $783.58 generated a surplus of $480.84 for the month of March 2020.
President – President Marshall prepared the following agenda of topics to discuss:
- Renew membership, if necessary.
- New Member Party is delayed indefinitely. The Whiteman’s will notify Gail Spurlock, who was planning on hosting it in May.
- Gatherings Committee action needed:
- Renew Paul Whiteman’s term on the Gatherings Committee, since his prior term expired on 03/31/2020. A recommendation was made to reappoint Paul Whiteman on the Gatherings Committee for a 3-year term. Motion was made by Schmidt and seconded by Evers, which passed unanimously.
- Appoint new member for Gatherings Committee to replace Rik Hess for the remaining one year of his term. Position is now officially vacant, and we need to find an appointee to replace him.
- John Neemidge, our Region 6 RVC, sent an e-mail which mentioned Corpus Christi from Gulf Coast Area is hosting virtual events using Zoom:
- Table Topia
- Monthly Board meeting
- If Physical Events occur, pay attention to the local rules on this and how many people can attend.
- The question was asked by Karen Brack if NTM could have virtual Happy Hours and other activities using Zoom? Whiteman pointed out that currently we are using the “free” version of Zoom for the board meeting, so we would want to get a paid-for version in order to have events longer than 40 minutes. And, we would want to e-mail blast out the details, so people could easily use it on laptops and phones. The cost of the premium version of Zoom is $160.00 year. The NTM board agreed that if shelter-at-home orders last longer than the end of April, we would consider buying the premium version.
- Next Board Meeting: May 17, 2020
Membership – Paul Whiteman - reported for 2 months with reports he could pull from American Mensa, but he is still trying to verify the number of leaving members:
- As of February 29, NTM had 1,251 members, which includes 23 entering members (7 joined, 9 rejoin, 7 move-in), and 2 leaving members.
- As of March 31, NTM had 1,267 members, which includes 15 entering members (3 joined, 6 rejoin, 6 move-in), and 0 leaving members.
Ombudsman - Randy Brack – nothing to report.
Election Committee – Vacant.
(Chapa) Editor – Bill Rock – M-Aura sent to the printer Thursday. Most activities caveated on situation opening up. Open call for any photos for the June M-Aura. Even a screenshot of the meeting Zoom would be fine.
(Chapa) Publisher/Circulation Manager – Val Beasley – no report, but according to a May M-AURA article, the printer is closed due to Coronavirus restrictions, as it is not considered to be an “essential business”. So, the May M-AURA will only be e-mailed.
(Chapa) Social and Communications – Vacant.
(Chapa) Publicity – Vacant.
(Evers) Webmaster – Andy McKellar – the website has no known problems. Andy renewed our yearly subscription to SiteGround (our ISP) to the tune of $276.31 and will be emailing Durham the receipt; other subscriptions will be coming due in the next few months. Durham is authorized to pay it, as this is part of our budgeted operating expenses.
(Evers) Testing Coordinator – Deborah Lockhart – No report. Testing would have been cancelled.
(Evers) Programs – Vacant.
(Evers) Calendar - Sara Hawkins – Reported there is nothing to report.
(Adair) Gifted Youth - Bill Rock – April event was cancelled (fossil hunting). Next event scheduled for late May.
(Adair) S.I.G.H.T. - Gunny Hartman – No requests for SITE services this month.
Scholarship Chair – Ralf Kittenbacher – No report.
Regional Gathering – Vacant.
- Old Business:
- 2020 RG? If so, need permission from National (First step, contact RVC). Report from Durham and Karen Brack on site visit.
- New Business:
- None brought up.
Motion to adjourn made by Schmidt, seconded by Adair, and passed unanimously. Meeting adjourned at 6:24 p.m. Submitted as Board Proceedings pending approval as Minutes by Whiteman, NTM Secretary.