January 17, 2021 Board Meeting Minutes
North Texas Mensa
A Local Group of
American Mensa Ltd.
A Not-for-Profit Corporation
Meeting called to order at 6:04 pm by President George Schmidt. Attendees included: President George Schmidt, Treasurer Roger Durham, Secretary Anne Whiteman, Board Members at Large Aaron Adair, Cathy Allshouse, and Jessica Helphrey. Not present: Vice President Jeffrey Bromberger.
Secretary – Whiteman – The proposed December 2020 Board Meeting Minutes were circulated. Durham moved, Allshouse seconded to approve the minutes as presented, which passed unanimously.
Treasurer – Durham – The December 30 bank account balance was $21,362.43 together with a note receivable of $10,000.00, showing an increase in net worth to $31,362.43, compared to net worth of $31,066.83 on November 30. Income of $1,067.07 and expenses of $771.47 generated a net surplus of $295.60 for the month of December, 2020. For the year ending December 31, 2020, income of $12,618.37 and expenses of $11,615.41 resulted in a year-over-year increase in net worth of $1,002.96. Also, the 2020 budget was attached as a starting place for our 2021 budget. Hopefully 2021 will be much closer to our 2020 projections. The treasurer report was received with thanks.
President – President Schmidt prepared the following agenda of topics to discuss:
- Announcement of 2021 Officers and Board Members (National office notification)
- List of Board Members:
- President: George Schmidt
- Vice President: Jeffrey Bromberger
- Treasurer: Roger Durham
- Secretary: Anne Whiteman
- Board Member at Large: Aaron Adair, Cathy Allshouse, Jessica Helphrey
- List of Appointed Officers:
- Membership: Paul Whiteman
- Editor: Bill Rock
- Publisher/Circulation Manager: Val Beasley
- Webmaster: Andy McKellar
- Proctor/Testing Coordinator: Deborah Lockhart
- Programs: Cathy Allshouse
- Calendar: Sara Hawkins
- Gifted Children: Bill Rock
- S.I.G.H.T. – Gunny Hartman
- Scholarship Chair – Jessica Helphrey
- Area Coordinator in – Pam Kittenbacher
- -Denton County
- -Collin County
- -Texoma Area
- Area Coordinator for East Texas – Cookie Neeley
- Durham motioned; Whiteman seconded. Unanimously approved.
- List of Board Members:
- Financial Review (who will conduct?) Chris Cree or John Roeder
- Standing Policies: Review and modify, if so desired.
- New Members Party discussion
- Is April too soon? Paul Whiteman to check with Ken & Lori Roberts.
- 2021 Board Meetings: 3rd Sunday, 6PM. La Madeline’s is reserved for 2 months.
- Discussion of 2021 RG, to be voted upon in February
- Via Zoom or in person? Meals provided? Hilton Garden Inn & Suites
- 2021 Budget was approved as presented.
- Adair approved; Helphrey seconded. Unanimously approved.
- Next Board Meeting: February 21, 2021 at La Madeline’s on Mockingbird Lane.
Membership – Paul Whiteman – provided the following report:
- As of December 1st, NTM had 1,178 members, which includes 16 new members: 3 lapsed members rejoined, 9 new members joined, and 4 moved in. No members left due to moving out. We had a New Member’s Party in conjunction with the Virtual RG.
Ombudsman - Randy Brack – nothing to report.
Nominating Committee – Bill Rock – no report for this topic from Bill, but technically the committee should be complete with all their activities.
Election Committee – Paul Whiteman – No complaints have been received about the election in the mail. However, we DID receive 2 ballots after the election, but they would not have changed the outcome of the election.
(Helphrey) Editor – Bill Rock – February M-AURA is ready to go once we get an RVC column. February will mark 10 years as editor.
(Helphrey) Publisher/Circulation Manager – Val Beasley – no report.
(Helphrey) Social and Communications – Vacant.
(Helphrey) Publicity – Vacant.
(Allshouse) Testing Coordinator – Deborah Lockhart – Nothing to report.
(Allshouse) Programs – Vacant.
(Allshouse) Calendar - Sara Hawkins – All is going great in terms of the calendar.
(Adair) Gifted Youth - Bill Rock – Gifted Youth Gifted Youth will have a virtual parent meeting on the 23rd, and a "thinking about thinking" interactive session in February. Three families did the Area3 tour in December (separately, [un]?fortunately).
(Adair) S.I.G.H.T. - Gunny Hartman – S.I.G.H.T. – Nothing to report for S.I.G.H.T. this month.
(Adair) Scholarship Chair – Jessica Helphrey – Scholarship reading today, and others will be
Thursday and next Sunday. 200 scholarship applications to read/judge by 3 people each. Some people are doing their reading electronically.
- Old Business: N/A
- New Business:
- Ordering of name tags – Whiteman will do.
- General meetings – do we want to have Zoom-based general meetings? One has been suggested to resume General Meetings in March, scheduled for 7:00pm following the board meeting.
- Cathy Allshouse has agreed to serve as Program Chair.
Motion to adjourn made by Durham, seconded by Adair, and passed unanimously. Meeting adjourned at 6:38 pm. Submitted as Board Proceedings pending approval as Minutes by Whiteman, NTM Secretary.