April 18, 2021 Board Meeting Minutes

North Texas Mensa

A Local Group of

American Mensa Ltd.

A Not-for-Profit Corporation

Meeting called to order at 6:10 pm by President George Schmidt.  Attendees included: President George Schmidt, Treasurer Roger Durham, Secretary Anne Whiteman, Board Members at Large Aaron Adair, Cathy Allshouse, and Jessica Helphrey. Not present: Vice President Jeffrey Bromberger.

  • Reports

Secretary – Whiteman – The proposed March 2021 Board Meeting Minutes were circulated.  Adair moved, Durham seconded to approve the minutes as presented, which passed unanimously.          

Treasurer – Durham – The February bank account balance was $22,165.82 together with a note receivable of $10,000.00, showing an increase in net worth to $32,165.82, compared to net worth of $31,732.99 on February 28.  Income of $1,269.58 and expenses of $836.75 generated a net surplus of $432.83 for the month of March, 2021, due part to receipt of $240.11 from the 2020 RG Committee, which represented the net income from last year’s virtual RG. 

President – President Schmidt prepared the following agenda of topics to discuss:

  • Renew membership, if necessary
  • Appointments of Vice President and Board Member at Large
    • Vice President Jeff Bromberger resigned due to work conflicts; Aaron Adair was appointed to take over his position. Durham moved, Whiteman seconded; unanimously approved. 
    • Jen Green will take over the Board Member at Large position vacated by Aaron Adair after he accepted the Vice President position.
  • New Members Party had 33 members.
  • Next Board Meeting: May 16, 2021. General Meeting will start at 7:30 PM in June.

Membership – Paul Whiteman – provided the following report:

  • As of March 31st, NTM had 1,013 members, which includes 14 new members: 5 lapsed members rejoined, 5 new members joined, and 4 moved in. Five members left due to moving out.
  • Jackson, 17-year-old new member, mentioned that there was nothing for his age at the party.

Ombudsman - Randy Brack – His 3-year term as Ombudsman expires in January, 2022.  Randy plans to retire from this role, but will continue on as a member of the National Bylaws Committee.  Gunny Hartman may be interested in the Ombudsman position.

(Helphrey) Scholarship Chair – Jessica Helphrey – Everything is turned over to National.  Ralf will help Jessica next year in submitting everything.

(Helphrey) Publisher/Circulation Manager – Val Beasley – Nothing reported.

(Helphrey) Social and Communications – Jessica is considering taking over and would like to  contribute to Social and Communications, which can be anything she wants.  Jessica may also hold an activity in the near future for those members in their 20s and 30s.

(Helphrey) Publicity – Vacant.

(Allshouse) Webmaster – Andy McKellar – The website appears to be working correctly, and the licenses and user requests are current so far as he knows.

(Allshouse) Testing Coordinator – Deborah Lockhart – There was supposed be a test yesterday, but Deborah had to cancel due to medical reasons.

(Allshouse) Programs – Cathy Allshouse – North Texas Mensa general meetings have resumed.  Dallas Arboretum will present in May on native plants.  A speaker for June may still be needed. 

(Allshouse) Calendar - Sara Hawkins – No issues with calendar.  Please let Sara know if you would like to schedule an event or need me for anything.

(Adair) Gifted Youth - Bill Rock – Gifted Youth had 4 members on-line for games in April.  Will be doing lake cleanup in May.

(Adair) S.I.G.H.T. - Gunny Hartman – S.I.G.H.T. – Nothing to report for S.I.G.H.T. this month.

(Adair) Editor – Bill Rock – May M-AURA sent to printer April 15th.  Apologies to Roger for not including the treasurer’s report sooner.

Old Business:  

  • 2021 RG:
  • Gathering Committee – Paul Whiteman, Karen Brack, and Randy Brack.
    • Nothing to report.

New Business:

  • 4th of July Party at Ken & Lori Roberts suggested, since there is no AG the week of July 4th.
    • Up to $300 allocated for the party.
    • Durham moved; Adair seconded; unanimously approved.


Motion to adjourn made by Durham, seconded by Adair, and passed unanimously. Meeting adjourned at 6:40 pm.  Submitted as Board Proceedings pending approval as Minutes by Whiteman, NTM Secretary.