August 16, 2020 Board Minutes
North Texas Mensa
A Local Group of American Mensa Ltd.
A Not-for-Profit Corporation
Meeting called to order at 6:02 pm by President John Marshall. Attendees by Zoom: President John Marshall, Vice-President George Schmidt, Treasurer Roger Durham, Secretary Anne Whiteman, and Board Members at Large Aaron Adair and Ken Roberts. Not present: Board Member at Large Elaine Wedgwood.
Secretary – Whiteman – The proposed July 2020 Board Meeting Minutes were circulated. Schmidt moved, Durham seconded to approve the minutes as presented, which passed unanimously.
Treasurer – Durham – The July 31 bank account balance was $20,749.10 together with a note receivable of $10,000.00, showing a decrease in net worth to $30,749.10, compared to net worth of $30,818.75 on June 30. Income of $922.72 and expenses of $992.37 generated a deficit of $69.65 for the month of July, 2020, entirely attributable to annual website license expenses of $366.39. Treasurer’s report was accepted with thanks.
President – President Marshall prepared the following agenda of topics to discuss:
- By-Laws/Referendum Committee Chair has yet to be determined. Robert Hemphill was contacted, but his schedule is too busy currently to allow him to take on this role.
- Next Board Meeting: September 20, 2020, 6 PM via Zoom. For the October meeting on October 18, 2020, the current plan is to meet at 6 PM at BJ’s Brewery.
Membership – Paul Whiteman – provided the following report:
- As of July 31, NTM had 1,103 members, which includes 13 new members: 10 lapsed members rejoined, 2 new members joined, and 1 move in. 5 members leaving due to move out.
- New member party for fall is in jeopardy due to COVID-19 restrictions.
Ombudsman - Randy Brack – nothing to report.
Nominating Committee – Bill Rock: Bill contacted the current board members to see who interested in running for re-election for the 2021 NTM board. All positions have at least 1 candidate, and Board Member at Large has 4 candidates (3 will be elected).
Election Committee – Paul Whiteman. Randy Brack sent Paul the most recent Election Code, and he put it in the September M-AURA with minimal changes. Microsoft Office 365 Word will be used to count the number of words for the Biographies and Campaign Statements of those running for NTM offices. Election Committee Members include:
- Paul Whiteman, Chair
- Andy McKellar
- Laura Stuart
- Deborah Lockhart
A post office box will need to be rented in the fall for the election, and reimbursement will be needed.
(Wedgwood) Editor – Bill Rock – Editor: M-Aura ready to go to press tonight (08/16/2020) with four-count ’em – four Election committee members. And a letter to the editor. Plan is to go back to color for the covers, per last month’s board meeting. You have 'till 8 pm to let me know of any other changes.
(Wedgwood) Publisher/Circulation Manager – Val Beasley – no report.
(Wedgwood) Social and Communications – Vacant.
(Wedgwood) Publicity – Vacant.
(Roberts) Webmaster – Andy McKellar – No problems or issues that Andy is aware of. The email forwarding has been updated to reflect Elaine replacing Rolando as a board member at large. All data and software licenses are current.
(Roberts) Testing Coordinator – Deborah Lockhart – No testing done, due to COVID-19 – testing locations were not available. National Mensa is trying to get an automated method of testing up and working for a person to test online without a proctor. If this is successful, proctors may not be needed in the future.
(Roberts) Programs – Vacant.
(Roberts) Calendar - Sara Hawkins – Things are going great in calendar land. Always feel free to reach out to her if you need her.
(Adair) Gifted Youth - Bill Rock – Gifted Youth: 5 people participated in the on-line games event last week. Plan for disc golf in September.
(Adair) S.I.G.H.T. - Gunny Hartman – S.I.G.H.T. – Nothing to report on the S.I.G.H.T. front as there have been no requests for S.I.G.H.T. services.
(Adair) Scholarship Chair – Ralf Kittenbacher – No report.
- Old Business: Virtual Regional Gathering – Adair and Roberts. Lori Roberts has put together an RG blurb for the September M-AURA. 1 annual license to be used not just for the Virtual RG, but year-round, plus a PRO license for the month of November. Adair has talked to his alcohol contacts for tastings, and will continue to keep in contact with them. EscapeExperts.com in Downtown Plano is suggested for tastings and virtual tastings – since they may be lacking for escape room business, perhaps we can get 2 rooms at a reasonable price – they have a kitchen, if needed. Mensa Testing was there free of charge for Deborah Lockhart earlier this year. Concerning the New Member Party also being at this location on Saturday, 11/28/2020, it was suggested that no free alcoholic beverages be served, due to the tastings going on that evening. However, it was pointed out that we always have some type of beer and wine free of charge at New Member Parties. So, discussion of this will occur with the RG committee at their next meeting.
- New Business:
- None to report.
Motion to adjourn made by Schmidt, seconded by Roberts, and passed unanimously. Meeting adjourned at 6:30 p.m. Submitted as Board Proceedings pending approval as Minutes by Whiteman, NTM Secretary.