September 20, 2020 Board Meeting Minutes

                                                        North Texas Mensa

                                                          A Local Group of

                                                       American Mensa Ltd.

                                                  A Not-for-Profit Corporation

Meeting called to order at 6:04 pm by President John Marshall.  Attendees by Zoom: President John Marshall, Vice-President George Schmidt, Treasurer Roger Durham, Secretary Anne Whiteman, and Board Members at Large Aaron Adair and Ken Roberts.  Not present:  Board Member at Large Elaine Wedgwood, due to car trouble.

  1. Reports

Secretary – Whiteman – The proposed August 2020 Board Meeting Minutes were circulated.  Schmidt moved, Roberts seconded to approve the minutes as presented, which passed unanimously.          

Treasurer – Durham – The August 31 bank account balance was $21,020.00 together with a note receivable of $10,000.00, showing an increase in net worth to $31,020.00, compared to net worth of $30,749.10 on July 31.  Income of $1,042.82 and expenses of $771.92 generated a net surplus of $270.90 for the month of August, 2020. Treasurer’s report was accepted with thanks.

President – President Marshall prepared the following agenda of topics to discuss:

  • By-Laws/Referendum Committee Chair – postponed indefinitely until American Mensa acts on their proposed minimum standard bylaws.
  • Next Board Meeting: October 18, 2020 via Zoom.

Membership – Paul Whiteman – provided the following report:

  • As of August 31, NTM had 1,124 members, which includes 14 new members: 7 lapsed members rejoined, 3 new members joined, and 4 move in. 3 members leaving due to move out.

Ombudsman - Randy Brack – covered 3 topics (see one in “New Business):

  • A system will be created by American Mensa to register complaints. These will be registered and archived with American Mensa. 
    • Pro: American Mensa will have more visibility to “problem members”.
    • Con: There may be a lack of confidentiality.
  • Proposed Changes to MSB Clarifications (Excerpt) - proposed minimum standard bylaws may be approved by early 2021.

Nominating Committee – Bill Rock – no report for this topic from Bill.

Election Committee – Paul Whiteman – no report for this topic from Paul.

(Wedgwood) Editor – Bill Rock – Editor:  M-Aura went to press on Friday, 09/18/2020.  Thanks to those who provided photos (Anne).

(Wedgwood) Publisher/Circulation Manager – Val Beasley – no report.

(Wedgwood) Social and Communications – Vacant.

(Wedgwood) Publicity – Vacant.

(Roberts) Webmaster – Andy McKellar – All appears to be current and working; no known issues.

(Roberts) Testing Coordinator – Deborah Lockhart – Libraries are going to reopen, and testing may happen on the 4th weekend of October.  American Mensa will soon have online testing.  The local chapter won’t get paid for any testing done online, just for those who attend a proctored test.

(Roberts) Programs – Vacant.

(Roberts) Calendar - Sara Hawkins – Nothing to report on the calendar side.

(Adair) Gifted Youth - Bill Rock – Gifted Youth:  Gifted Youth are planning on disc golf for next weekend. 

(Adair) S.I.G.H.T. - Gunny Hartman – S.I.G.H.T. – Nothing to report on the S.I.G.H.T. front.

(Adair) Scholarship Chair – Ralf Kittenbacher – No report.

  1. Old Business: Virtual Regional Gathering – Adair and Roberts.  Sarah Sharp from CTM will meet with the committee to go over the CTM VRG post mortem results.  RVC John Neemidge also offered help if we need his expertise.  The committee is planning a hybrid version of the RG, with part “in person” at Escape Experts in Plano, and part via Zoom. 
    • Rooms are 25 x 30 ft with a small kitchen in one of them. Tastings could be held in one room; Presentations could be projected via Zoom in the other room.
    • Microsoft Teams was suggested to be used instead of Zoom, due to Zoom requiring a Social Security Number to set up. However, Microsoft Teams may be a lot more expensive.  Further research will be done on both tools.  Hopefully a credit card will be enough to purchase whichever option is chosen.

 

  1. New Business:
  • American Mensa Committee Terms of Office. Proposed National Bylaws Change for National Officers – starting in 2021, they propose to have elections every 3 years instead of every 2 years.  This will put American Mensa in sync with International Mensa.  No action required on the NTM Board’s part – this is just informational.
  • A discussion was held concerning NTM’s committees for NTM elections. Currently, nomination committee members cannot be on the election committee, and vice versa, due to NTM bylaws.  However, American Mensa bylaws do not require this stipulation, so NTM bylaws could be changed to allow this to be one committee that serves both functions.
  • The Preston Towers meeting room is still not open, so we cannot have meetings there until their board decides to reopen the meeting room.

 

Motion to adjourn made by Schmidt, seconded by Roberts, and passed unanimously. Meeting adjourned at 6:39 p.m.  Submitted as Board Proceedings pending approval as Minutes by Whiteman, NTM Secretary.