October 20, 2020 Board Meeting Minutes
North Texas Mensa
A Local Group of
American Mensa Ltd.
A Not-for-Profit Corporation
Meeting called to order at 6:24 pm by Vice-President George Schmidt, as the President was running late. Attendees by Zoom: President John Marshall, Vice-President George Schmidt, Treasurer Roger Durham, Secretary Anne Whiteman, and Board Members at Large Aaron Adair and Ken Roberts. Not present: Board Member at Large Elaine Wedgwood.
Secretary – Whiteman – The proposed August 2020 Board Meeting Minutes were circulated. Roberts moved, Adair seconded to approve the minutes as presented, which passed unanimously.
Treasurer – Durham – The September 30 bank account balance was $21,382.62 together with a note receivable of $10,000.00, showing an increase in net worth to $31,382.62, compared to net worth of $31,020.00 on August 31. Income of $1,073.67 and expenses of $711.05 generated a net surplus of $362.62 for the month of September, 2020, partly due to a one-time increase of $115.00 in our AML subsidy last month as reimbursement for contacting lapsed members.
For the first three quarters of 2020, income of $9,465.26 and expenses of $8,442.11 have resulted in a Y-T-D increase in net worth of $1,023.15. Treasurer’s report was accepted with thanks.
President – President Marshall prepared the following agenda of topics to discuss:
- Next Board Meeting at 6 PM and Election at 7 PM: November 15, 2020 at La Madeleine, 3072 Mockingbird Lane. John will be checking into refreshments for any who come to vote. Board Members are encouraged to purchase dinner there, as we may possibly want to seek this as a meeting location for future NTM Board Meetings, if the Preston Tower meeting space does not reopen soon.
Membership – Paul Whiteman – provided the following report:
- As of September 30, NTM had 1,127 members, which includes 15 new members: 6 lapsed members rejoined, 2 new members joined, and 7 move in. 6 members leaving due to move out. Adair had sent out an e-mail blast to lapsed members on July 13th.
Ombudsman - Randy Brack – no report.
Nominating Committee – Bill Rock – no report for this topic from Bill, but technically the committee should be complete with all their activities.
Election Committee – Paul Whiteman – we’re going to have an election! Currently, only the Board Member at Large positions will have an actual contest, as 4 people are running for 3 positions; all other Board Members positions are running unopposed. Bios and campaign statements were solicited from the candidates, and those received will be published in the November M-AURA. The Election Code will also be published in the November M-AURA. Paul has gotten a PO Box for mail-in ballots – cost of $86 – which he will submit to the treasurer for payment. Any mail-in ballots must be received by November 15, 2020 in order to be counted.
(Wedgwood) Editor – Bill Rock – Editor: M-Aura: Went to print Thursday, 10/15/2020. Updated registration form provided to printer Friday, 10/16/2020. Thanks to those who provided inputs and proofread.
(Wedgwood) Publisher/Circulation Manager – Val Beasley – no report.
(Wedgwood) Social and Communications – Vacant.
(Wedgwood) Publicity – Vacant.
(Roberts) Webmaster – Andy McKellar – For the most part, it's "business as usual"; software licenses are current, users are being added if they're members, things seem to be working, etc. A page has been posted describing the Virtual RG and a PDF file to be used for mail-in registration, but the online registration page is still pending some details from the committee.
(Roberts) Testing Coordinator – Deborah Lockhart – no report.
(Roberts) Programs – Vacant.
(Roberts) Calendar - Sara Hawkins – Nothing to report on the calendar side.
(Adair) Gifted Youth - Bill Rock – Gifted Youth: Four members attended on-line games Saturday. Event for November is "Skype a Scientist".
(Adair) S.I.G.H.T. - Gunny Hartman – S.I.G.H.T. – Nothing to report for S.I.G.H.T. this month.
(Adair) Scholarship Chair – Ralf Kittenbacher – No report.
- Old Business: Virtual Regional Gathering – Adair and Roberts.
- We have a couple more slots left in the schedule to fill, but we should have those filled very shortly.
- We will have space of 2 large rooms for activities both Friday and Saturday evenings at an Escape Room in East Plano. Tastings will be done there, but people can also participate virtually as well.
- A guest artist from Ohio will be doing a show.
- A local artist will be providing entertainment on Saturday night.
- Tastings include Chocolate, Potato Chip, Scotch, and Wine.
- Bill Rock’s daughter will be helping with online games. Bill will also check to see if any of the Gifted Youth would like to host any online games.
- New Business:
- None to report.
Motion to adjourn made by Schmidt, seconded by Roberts, and passed unanimously. Meeting adjourned at 6:51 p.m. Submitted as Board Proceedings pending approval as Minutes by Whiteman, NTM Secretary.