December 20, 2020 Board Meeting Minutes
North Texas Mensa
A Local Group of
American Mensa Ltd.
A Not-for-Profit Corporation
Meeting called to order at 6:07 pm by President John Marshall. Attendees included: President John Marshall, Vice-President George Schmidt, Treasurer Roger Durham, Secretary Anne Whiteman, Board Member at Large Aaron Adair, and Board Member Elect Jessica Helphrey (as a guest). Board Member at Large Ken Roberts attended via Zoom. Not present: Board Member at Large: Elaine Wedgwood.
Secretary – Whiteman – The proposed November 2020 Board Meeting Minutes were circulated. Schmidt moved, Durham seconded to approve the minutes as presented, which passed unanimously.
Treasurer – Durham – The November 30 bank account balance was $21,066.83 together with a note receivable of $10,000.00, showing an increase in net worth to $31,066.83, compared to net worth of $31,412.81 on October 31. Income of $1,023.72 and expenses of $1,369.70 generated a net deficit of $345.98 for the month of November 2020, due entirely to our one-time contribution of $500 to the NTM Scholarship Foundation. The treasurer report was received with thanks.
President – President Marshall prepared the following agenda of topics to discuss:
- Next Board Meeting and Installation of New Officers: January 17, 2021 at La Madeleine, 3072 Mockingbird Lane for in person attendance, as well as via Zoom. The NTM Board Members should let President Schmidt know in advance by which method they plan to attend.
- Installation of officers for 2021 – there is no official ceremony.
Membership – Paul Whiteman – provided the following report:
- As of December 1st, NTM had 1,164 members, which includes 13 new members: 3 lapsed members rejoined, 10 new members joined, and no moved in. No members left due to moving out. We had a New Member’s Party in conjunction with the Virtual RG.
Ombudsman - Randy Brack – no report.
Nominating Committee – Bill Rock – no report for this topic from Bill, but technically the committee should be complete with all their activities.
Election Committee – Paul Whiteman – No complaints have been received about the election in the mail. However, we DID receive 2 ballots after December 31st, but they would not have changed the outcome of the election. If any complaints come in before or on December 31st, they will be handled by the Election Committee; otherwise, they will be turned over to the Board to handle, as the Election will be disbanded as of midnight on December 31st.
(Wedgwood) Editor – Bill Rock – January M-AURA was sent to the printer on Wednesday.
(Wedgwood) Publisher/Circulation Manager – Val Beasley – no report.
(Wedgwood) Social and Communications – Vacant.
(Wedgwood) Publicity – Vacant.
(Roberts) Webmaster – Andy McKellar – The website is up to date and working correctly. We currently have: 326 enabled users, including but not limited to NTM, 321 deactivated (i.e., lapsed or deceased) users, and 6 users pending activation (i.e., membership not yet verified). All board members and appointed officers are reminded that I will need to update the email forwarding. If I can get current email addresses for the new board members (and new addresses for anyone who have changed them), I can have that taken care of some time on New Year’s Day, but I can't update the officers until I have an official list of changes after the first meeting(s) next year.
(Roberts) Testing Coordinator – Deborah Lockhart – After no testing had been done since the lockdown, 90 people interested in testing were communicated with, and 14 responded that they still wanted to take the test. 3 people showed up to take the regular version of the test, and 2 took the Culture Fair test.
(Roberts) Programs – Vacant.
(Roberts) Calendar - Sara Hawkins – There was an issue with the online calendar not advancing past the end of the year. It has been fixed by Andy McKellar. Things are back to normal in calendar land. Nothing new otherwise to report.
(Adair) Gifted Youth - Bill Rock – Event for November “Skype a Scientist" was attended by several families. We have a tour of art in a car park set for the 28th of this month. January will be a parent meeting.
(Adair) S.I.G.H.T. - Gunny Hartman – S.I.G.H.T. – Nothing to report for S.I.G.H.T. this month.
(Adair) Scholarship Chair – Ralf Kittenbacher – No report.
- Old Business: Virtual Regional Gathering – Adair and Roberts.
- Virtual RG Report - November 27-28, 2020 at Escape Room.
- A SWOT analysis was done of Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats of the RG.
- People liked the offering of multiple out-of-state presenters.
- People liked a single thread of presentations, so that they didn’t have to make a decision on what to attend.
- We reached a wider audience via Zoom.
- We need at least 2 Zoom sessions so overlap of presentations can be allowed.
- John Neemidge was our biggest promoter for the event.
- More games should be included next year.
- An official survey was sent to all participants.
- New Business:
- Installation of officers and directors for 2021.
- East Texas Gifted Youth Coordinator has not responded.
- Ralf Kittenbacher does not want to remain as NTM Scholarship Chairperson.
- New board member Jessica Helphrey will be taking over this role.
- People in the other roles have confirmed they will continue on for 2021.
Motion to adjourn made by Durham, seconded by Schmidt, and passed unanimously. Meeting adjourned at 6:33 pm. Submitted as Board Proceedings pending approval as Minutes by Whiteman, NTM Secretary.