May 16, 2021 Board Meeting Minutes

North Texas Mensa

A Local Group of

American Mensa Ltd.

A Not-for-Profit Corporation

Meeting called to order at 6:08 pm by President George Schmidt.  Attendees included: President George Schmidt, Treasurer Roger Durham, Secretary Anne Whiteman, Board Members at Large Cathy Allshouse and Jennifer Green. Present via Zoom:  Vice President Aaron Adair and Board Member at Large Jessica Helphrey.

  • Reports

Secretary – Whiteman – The proposed April 2021 Board Meeting Minutes were circulated.  Durham moved, Allshouse seconded to approve the minutes as presented, which passed unanimously.        

Treasurer – Durham – The April 30th bank account balance was $22,288.22 together with a note receivable of $10,000.00, showing an increase in net worth to $32,288.22, compared to net worth of $32,165.82 on March 31st.  Income of $1,145.37 and expenses of $1022.97 generated a net surplus of $122.40 for the month of April, 2021, due mostly to receipt of the $100.00 quarterly interest payment from the NTM Scholarship Foundation.

President – President Schmidt prepared the following agenda of topics to discuss:

  • Members of Nominating and Election Committees
    • Durham will contact Jeffrey Bromberger, and Schmidt will contact Bill Rock.
  • July 4th Party – NTM will underwrite the whole cost, and provide all the food and drink.
    • We will put it in the July M-AURA, and send out an e-mail blast.
  • RG (Regional Gathering) – Where, When, Notify National.
    • Plans for this still need to be finalized.
  • Next Board Meeting: June 20, 2021. General Meeting will start at 7:30 PM in June.

Membership – Paul Whiteman – provided the following report:

  • As of April 30th, NTM had 1,057 members, which includes 24 new members: 18 lapsed members rejoined, 4 new members joined, and 2 moved in. Three members left due to moving out.

Ombudsman - Randy Brack – Nothing for the Ombudsman to report this month.

(Helphrey) Scholarship Chair – Jessica Helphrey – Nothing to report.

(Helphrey) Publisher/Circulation Manager – Val Beasley – Nothing reported.

(Helphrey) Social and Communications – Jessica Helphrey – Millenial Meetup will occur on June 15th.

 (Helphrey) Publicity – Vacant.

(Allshouse) Webmaster – Andy McKellar – No change; all appears well.

(Allshouse) Testing Coordinator – Deborah Lockhart – No testing recently.

(Allshouse) Programs – Cathy Allshouse – North Texas Mensa general meetings have resumed.  In June, Marcus Baker from the North Texas Food Bank will be doing a presentation on Food Insecurity during the Covid pandemic.

(Allshouse) Calendar - Sara Hawkins – Things are going well with the calendar.  Nothing to report at this time.

(Green) Gifted Youth - Bill Rock – Gifted Youth had four families participating in the White Rock Lake trash pickup on May 8th.  Young Eagles flights are planned for May 22/23.  For June, a virtual presentation on biodiversity from the Half-Earth Project is planned.

(Green) S.I.G.H.T. - Gunny Hartman – S.I.G.H.T. – No requests for S.I.G.H.T. services since the last meeting.  More travelers were expected by this point, but perhaps we will see more of that this summer.

(Green) Editor – Bill Rock – June M-AURA should be ready for the printer May 16th.  Thanks go out to those who provided inputs and/or photos.

Old Business:  

  • 2021 RG – Durham and Adair will go up to the hotel on May 25th to check it out and meet with Chris Jennings.

New Business:

  • none

Motion to adjourn made by Durham, seconded by Whiteman, and passed unanimously. Meeting adjourned at 6:36 pm.  Submitted as Board Proceedings pending approval as Minutes by Whiteman, NTM Secretary.