February 19, 2020 Board Proceedings
North Texas Mensa
A Local Group of
American Mensa Ltd.
A Not-for-Profit Corporation
Meeting called to order at 6:05 pm by President John Marshall. Attendees: Vice-President George Schmidt, Treasurer Roger Durham, Secretary Anne Whiteman, and Board Members at Large Rolando Chapa and Pamela Evers.
Secretary – The proposed January 2020 Board Meeting Minutes were circulated. Schmidt moved, Evers seconded to approve the minutes as amended with the budget being approved, which passed unanimously.
Treasurer – Treasurer Durham reported on the January 2020 financials. The January 31 bank account balance was $20,684.41 together with a note receivable of $10,000.00, showing an increase in net worth to $30,684.41, compared to net worth of $30.359.47 at year-end. Income of $1,203.06 and expenses of $878.12 generated a surplus of $324.94 for the month of January 2020.
President – President Marshall prepared the following agenda of topics to discuss:
- Renew membership, if necessary.
- Adopt budget – this was done at January’s meeting.
- Adopt standing policies and proposed election code from 2020 Handbook. Durham moved and Evers seconded.
- Need committee or chair, date, location, for New Members Party to be in March M-AURA.
- Evers’ location will not work for the spring party. The membership chair has 3 possibilities to check into.
- Next Board Meeting: March 15, 2020.
- Marshall will miss the March and April meetings.
- No special approval needed by the board, since he hasn’t missed 3 consecutive meetings.
Membership – Paul Whiteman - reported that as of February 16 NTM had 1,233 members, which includes 17 entering members (9 joined, 7 rejoin, 1 move-in), and 2 leaving members.
Marshall asked the Membership Chair for a report of the newer members, in order to do some “outreach” to get more participation and fresh blood doing volunteer activities in the organization.
Ombudsman - Randy Brack – nothing to report.
Election Committee – Vacant.
(Chapa) Editor – Bill Rock – M-Aura went to press Friday. Thanks to all who provided timely inputs and reviews.
(Chapa) Publisher/Circulation Manager – Val Beasley – M-AURA is at the printer. Val mentioned that there is a service in Florida that will print the M-AURAs and bulk mail them. All NTM will need to do is send the file to them to print, they will print and bulk mail. Val would not need to be involved anymore. Several people who have used this service are happy with them. Before going with this provider, local options will also be considered.
(Chapa) Social and Communications – Vacant.
(Chapa) Publicity – Vacant.
(Evers) Webmaster – Andy McKellar – All appears well; nothing of substance to report.
(Evers) Testing Coordinator – Deborah Lockhart – Durham reported that 4 candidates were tested yesterday. Lockhart reported that there are 139 candidates ready to test in East Texas. Lockhart said they are looking for testing locations in 6 different areas to test these candidates. An NTM proctor who is new to the area is willing to travel to these 6 areas to proctor a test.
(Evers) Programs – Karen Brack – Karen feels she needs to resign from this position. For a second month in a row, she has not gotten a positive response for a speaker, despite having sent out many more invitations. She feels perhaps her approach and tactics have aged out and a new perspective is required.
(Evers) Calendar - Sara Hawkins – Everything is going fine in calendar-land. Nothing to report.
(Adair) Gifted Children - Bill Rock – No attendees for museum trip yesterday. Mini-golf and games event happening in Texarkana today. Events for March are bird watching in Lewisville and a museum trip in Texarkana. In April, we have fossil hunting in Mineral Wells.
(Adair) S.I.G.H.T. - Gunny Hartman – No requests for SITE services.
Scholarship Chair – Ralf Kittenbacher – no report.
Regional Gathering – Vacant.
- Old Business:
- NMP – Need chair/committee, date, and location.
- 2020 RG? If so, need permission from National (First step, contact RVC).
- Attendance has been dropping the past few years.
- Not enough room nights have been bought to provide free meeting space at hotels.
- First weekend of October was suggested as an alternate to Thanksgiving weekend.
- No chair for the RG committee has been identified yet.
- The gatherings committee is working on a location, which needs to be determined before the RG can happen.
- New Business:
- New Badges with new roles – Whiteman was assigned the task of placing the order. She created a spreadsheet of the proposed name tags and titles for everyone on the board to review for spelling and title correctness. Order will be placed this week.
Motion to adjourn made by Schmidt, seconded by Durham, and passed unanimously. Meeting adjourned at 6:57 p.m. Submitted as Board Proceedings pending approval as Minutes by Whiteman, NTM Secretary.