January 21, 2018 Board Minutes

North Texas Mensa

A Local Group of American Mensa Ltd., A Not-for-Profit Corporation

Meeting called to order at 6:00 pm by President Eric “Gunny” Hartman. Attendees: Vice President John Marshall, Treasurer Doug Fix, Secretary Roger Durham, and board members George Schmidt and Chris Cree. Board member Anne Whiteman arrived at 6:06 pm.

1. Reports

Secretary - The December 2017 Board Meeting minutes were circulated.

Treasurer – Past Treasurer Roger Durham reported on the December financials which reflect a bank account balance of $22,570.99 together with a note receivable of $10,000.00. Income of $1,114.78 and expenses of $1,280.41 generated a net deficit of <$165.63> for the month of December 2017. Durham went on to report that although last year’s budget called for a surplus of $1,354, the actual results showed a deficit of <$869.88> for the year; all records have been turned over to Fix. Report received with thanks.

President – Hartman presented the President’s Report. He began by asking the board members to briefly introduce themselves, and requested the board members to consider wearing name tags. Following introductions, the following reports were received (names in parentheses are Board liaisons for those offices):

RG/Bobby Burns Report – Karen Brack reported that the Bobby Burns Bash will take place on Friday. We have a piper and McCallan has agreed to provide half of the Scotch for free. Durham reported that additional RG registration fees were returned in December, with the result that the deficit increased to $232.23. Additionally, Chase Bank now requires a minimum balance of $1,500 to waive monthly account fees. Durham moved to reimburse RG committee an additional $678 to maintain seed money fund and increase it from $1,000 to $1,500; seconded by Marshall; passed unanimously.

Membership – Whiteman had previously submitted the membership report by email. As of December 31, 2017, 1252 members reported, up from 1242 on November 30, 2017. Pulling the numbers as of the last day of the month seems to have solved the problem of lack of agreement from month to month. Paul Whiteman will take over as Membership Chair.

Ombudsman/By-laws Committee Chairman - Randy Brack, no report as ombudsman.

(Cree) Editor – Bill Rock reported no problems with the M-Aura; he accepted reappointment as Editor.

(Cree) Publisher/Circulation Manager – Val Beasley reported that the M-Aura is at the printer. She is willing to continue in office.

(Cree) Social and Communications – Vacant

(Cree) Publicity – Vacant.

(Whiteman) Webmaster – Andy McKellar had previously submitted his report by email; he has completed reassignment of aliases for elected officers. He requested an update regarding email addresses for appointed officers. He will continue as Webmaster.

(Whiteman) Proctor/Testing Coordinator - Deborah Lockhart – 11 people tested on Saturday, including a family of three. She will continue as Testing Coordinator.

(Whiteman) Programs - Bob Hemphill has declined reappointment as Program Chair. Karen Brack has agreed to take his place.

(Whiteman) Calendar - Sara Hawkins – no report.

(Schmidt) Gifted Children - Bill Rock – 13 kids came to the flying outing. Next month 20 have already signed up for an Escape Room activity. He will continue as Gifted Children’s Chair.

(Schmidt) S.I.G.H.T. - Gunny Hartman – after much effort, he was able to find a SIGHT contact in London for Joe Panko. He will continue as Chair.

(Schmidt) Scholarship Chair – Ralf Kittenbacher – No report.At the conclusion of reports, Hartman asked for comments regarding conflicts with upcoming meeting dates. Only Fathers’ Day was identified as a conflict, but the board expressed a desire to meet on that date anyway.

Moved Marshall, seconded Schmidt, to reappoint Bill Rock as Editor, Val Beasley as Circulation Manager, Andy McKellar as Webmaster, Deborah Lockhart as Testing Coordinator, and Bill Rock as Gifted Childrens’ Chair and appoint Paul Whiteman as Membership Chair and Karen Brack as Program Chair; passed unanimously.

2. Old Business -None

3. New Business:

A. Moved Marshall, seconded Schmidt, to appropriate $3,400 for continuing expenses until a budget can be adopted in February; passed unanimously.

B. Moved Marshall, seconded Cree, to repeal Standing Policy 16-01, which has been superseded by the new NTM By-Laws.

C. Moved Marshall, seconded Schmidt, to authorize Whiteman to purchase plastic name tags for the officers. A spreadsheet will be circulated to make sure we don’t overlook anyone.

Motion to adjourn made by Marshall, seconded by Fix, unanimously approved. Meeting adjourned at 7:15 p.m.