June 20, 2021 Board Meeting Minutes

North Texas Mensa

A Local Group of

American Mensa Ltd.

A Not-for-Profit Corporation

Meeting called to order at 6:06 pm by President George Schmidt.  Attendees included: President George Schmidt, Vice President Aaron Adair, Treasurer Roger Durham, Secretary Anne Whiteman, Board Members at Large Cathy Allshouse and Jessica Helphrey.  Not present:  Jennifer Green.

  • Reports

Secretary – Whiteman – The proposed May 2021 Board Meeting Minutes were circulated.  Allshouse moved, Helphrey seconded to approve the minutes as presented, which passed unanimously.        

Treasurer – Durham – The May 31st bank account balance was $21,951.35 together with a note receivable of $10,000.00, showing an increase in net worth to $31,951.35, compared to net worth of $32,288.22 on April 30th.  Income of $915.26 and expenses of $1251.87 generated a net deficit of $336.61 for the month of May, 2021, due mostly to a reduction in the amount received from America Mensa this month on account of the expiration of annual memberships at the end of March.

President – President Schmidt prepared the following agenda of topics to discuss:

  • Additional Members of Nominating Committee – Bill Rock, Chairman
    • Bill Rock agreed to be chairman of nominating committee, needs help getting members to help.
    • Jeffrey Bromberger agreed to help in any capacity.
  • Election Committee is needed.
  • Next Board Meeting: July 18, 2021

Membership – Paul Whiteman – provided the following report:

  • As of May 31st, NTM had 1,084 members, which includes 12 new members: 6 joined, 3 lapsed members rejoined, and 3 moved in. One member left due to moving out.

Ombudsman - Randy Brack – Randy found someone to take over Ombudsperson position when his term expires in January (for a 3-year term) – his wife Karen Brack.

(Helphrey) Scholarship Chair – Jessica Helphrey – Nothing to report.

(Helphrey) Publisher/Circulation Manager – Val Beasley – Nothing reported.

 

(Helphrey) Social and Communications – Jessica Helphrey – 1st Millenial Meet-up was on June 15th – 6 people attended, all from different career backgrounds – was a success.  July 20th is next one.  This may become a monthly thing.

(Helphrey) Publicity – Vacant.

(Allshouse) Webmaster – Andy McKellar – All appears well; all licenses, user requests, etc. are current so far Andy knows.

(Allshouse) Testing Coordinator – Deborah Lockhart – No testing recently.

(Allshouse) Programs – Cathy Allshouse – North Texas Mensa general meetings have resumed.  In June, Marcus Baker from the North Texas Food Bank will be doing a presentation on Food Insecurity during the Covid pandemic.  July’s presentation will be on Pandemic Stress Recuperation.  For a future presentation after July, lawyer Penny Robe will present on what happens if you die intestate.

(Allshouse) Calendar - Sara Hawkins – The calendar is running well.  Please let Sara know if you have any questions.

(Green) Gifted Youth - Bill Rock – Four families picked up trash in May, and eight members got a Young Eagles flight before the rain shut us down.  June event was Saturday, June 19th, a talk on biodiversity.  July will be a nature hike.

(Green) S.I.G.H.T. - Gunny Hartman – S.I.G.H.T. – Nothing to report for S.I.G.H.T., as there have been no requests for S.I.G.H.T. services this month.

(Green) Editor – Bill Rock – July M-AURA went to press the evening of June 16th.  Thanks again to those providing photos and articles.

Old Business:  

  • 2021 RG – Durham and Adair went to the Hilton hotel on May 25th to check it out and meet with Chris Jennings General Manager and the guy in charge of conferences. Basically they sent the same contract that they sent us the first time.  Hilton wanted NTM to sign the contract, and they will provide NTM a menu 90 days out before the RG.
    • Adair had Paul Whiteman send out an e-mail blast with a survey to assess the interest in a 2021 Regional Gathering: 19 yes’s and 5 no’s, with 14 in person only, so far.
      • Hilton – no – 16; yes – 8; 2 nights – 11, 0 nights – 8 , 1 night – 6; yes – 4; no -20.
    • Durham said it was worth moving forward with an in-person Regional Gathering.
    • NTM still needs to look for an acceptable place.
  • July 4th party – article in July M-AURA. Planning being done.

New Business:

  • NTM Unofficial Historian – Randy Brack – old M-AURAs and rosters
    • Randy Brack has digitized M-AURAs from February, 1975 – June, 2021
  • Volunteers – Randy Brack emphasized we are a volunteer organization, and we are only as good as our volunteers. We should give something substantial to our volunteers to recognize them for their service and encourage others to volunteer.
    • The following are examples of some volunteers with exceptional service to NTM:
      • Roger Durham – 22 terms as board member; AG co-chair
      • Ralf Kittenbacher – 14 years as Scholarship Chair
      • Whitemans – are “joined at the hip” in assisting with Regional Gatherings and other responsibilities
      • Karen Brack – AG co-chair and chaired many Regional Gatherings
      • All of the above served multiple terms on the board
      • Bill Rock –
        • 10 years as M-AURA editor
        • 14 years as Gifted Youth Coordinator
      • President Schmidt suggested a program devoted to recognizing volunteers – possibly at the December meeting.
    • Preston Towers Meeting Location – Deborah Lockhart has informed us that meeting room at Preston Towers Condominium will be re-opening soon.

 

Motion to adjourn made by Durham, seconded by Adair, and passed unanimously. Meeting adjourned at 6:46 pm.  Submitted as Board Proceedings pending approval as Minutes by Whiteman, NTM Secretary.