August 15, 2021 Board Meeting Minutes

North Texas Mensa

A Local Group of

American Mensa Ltd.

A Not-for-Profit Corporation

Meeting called to order at 6:07 pm by President George Schmidt.  Attendees included: President George Schmidt, Vice President Aaron Adair, Treasurer Roger Durham, Secretary Anne Whiteman, Board Members at Large: Cathy Allshouse and Jennifer Green (late due to traffic issues).  Present by Zoom:  Board Member at Large:  Jessica Helphrey.

  • Reports

Secretary – Whiteman – The proposed July 2021 Board Meeting Minutes were circulated electronically.  Durham moved, Adair seconded to approve the minutes as presented, which passed unanimously. 

Treasurer – Durham – The July 31 bank account balance was $20,786.16 together with a note receivable of $10,000.00, showing a decrease in net worth to $30,786.16, compared to net worth of $31.857.99 on June 30.  Income of $1,034.27 and expenses of $2,106.10 generated a net deficit of $1,071.83 for the month of July 2021, almost entirely due to postage reimbursement of $400 and a postage deposit of $600, both for mailing the M-AURA, which should take us to the end of the year.

President – President Schmidt prepared the following agenda of topics to discuss:

  • Nominating Committee Report – from Bill Rock
    • We have identified one person for each role, and started open nomination.
  • Election Committee Report – from Eric “Gunny” Hartman
    • The 2021 Election Code for 2022 officers has been finalized and the relevant sections have been submitted to the editor for inclusion in the M-Aura.
    • The election committee is comprised of the following: Gunny Hartman, Andy McKeller, and Eric Hartman, Jr.
    • To conform with the bylaws, the following will need to take place: (1) The November general meeting will need to be moved to November 14, since the ballot counting must occur no later than November 20, such that a November 21 election would not work. The board will need to do this and would probably want to opt to have the board meeting moved to November 14 as well, instead of the traditional third Sunday of the month. (2) The November M-Aura, which contains the ballot, will need to be mailed no later than October 30, to ensure the ballots are mailed 15 days prior to the deadline for submission via the post, which is November 14 at 5PM.  I will be in communication with Bill Rock and Val Beasley to try our best to ensure that occurs.  Durham moved that we move the General and Board meeting to Sunday, November 14; Allshouse seconded the motion.  The board unanimously approved.
  • Next Board Meeting: September 19, 2021

Membership – Paul Whiteman – provided the following report:

  • As of July 31st, NTM had 1,112 members, which includes 12 new members: 5 joined, and 7 lapsed members rejoined.
  • Ralf and Pam Kittenbacher seemed agreeable to hosting an NTM New Member Party in early October, so we will be checking in with them to determine a date.

Ombudsman - Randy Brack – Nothing to report.

(Helphrey) Scholarship Chair – Jessica Helphrey – Nothing to report.

(Helphrey) Publisher/Circulation Manager – Val Beasley – Nothing reported.

(Helphrey) Social and Communications – Jessica Helphrey – no Millenial Meet-up planned for August and September.

(Helphrey) Publicity – Vacant.

(Allshouse) Webmaster – Andy McKellar – Good news (i.e., no news): everything is current and working correctly, so far as Andy can tell.

(Allshouse) Testing Coordinator – Deborah Lockhart – No testing recently.  National requested a pause in testing due to the Covid numbers going up.

(Allshouse) Programs – Cathy Allshouse – Special Interest Group check-in will be held for the September General Meeting.

(Allshouse) Calendar - Sara Hawkins – All is running well with the calendar.

(Green) Gifted Youth - Bill Rock – August was online gaming – 6 people attended.  Movie night in September.

(Green) S.I.G.H.T. - Gunny Hartman – S.I.G.H.T. – Some of our members may be aware, but if not, one may register on the American Mensa website as a “host” or “guest” as part of the S.I.G.H.T. program (Service of Information, Guidance, and Hospitality to Travelers).  That enables one to welcome or stay with fellow Mensans.  Check out the following webpage for such registration and/or to learn more:  https://www.us.mensa.org/connect/sight/ .

(Green) Editor – Bill Rock – No report.

Old Business:  

  • 2021 RG –
    • Durham had checked with the Quorum Marriott. At first, the Marriott staff were enthusiastic; but then he didn’t get a response for several weeks.  The sales manager finally contacted him. 
    • Adair sent an inquiry 2-1/2 weeks ago to the Dallas Conventions Bureau, to find out other hotels that may be able to suit our needs. Has not gotten a response yet.
    • Double Tree Hilton and Express Suites are potential options.

New Business:

  • Fall New Member Party – Whiteman will check with Ralf & Pam Kittenbacher to find out the date they are willing to host.

 Motion to adjourn made by Whiteman, seconded by Adair, and passed unanimously. Meeting adjourned at 6:28 pm.  Submitted as Board Proceedings pending approval as Minutes by Whiteman, NTM Secretary.